International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science ( IJITCS )
This article aims to present an analysis of user requirements for virtual classroom/collaboration software (VCCS) in learning and teaching. It collates and priorities existing user requirements in Cardiff University, reviews tools in the market, and recommends good tools that meet these requirements..
: virtual classroom, user requirements, learning activities
- S.R. Hiltz and M. Turoff, “Video plus virtual classroom for distance education: experience with graduate courses”. The Distance Education in DoD Invitational Research Conference, National Defense University, Washington DC, USA, 11-12 February 1993. Invited paper.
- J.L. McBrien, P. Jones, and R. Cheng , “Virtual spaces: employing a synchronous online classroom to facilitate student engagement in online learning”. International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, vol. 10, no. 3. 2009.
- S. Howell, P. Williams, and N. Lindsay, ‘Thirty-two trends affecting distance education: an informed foundation for strategic planning”. The Online Journal of Distance Learning Administration, vol. VI, no. III, Fall 2003, pp. 23-26.
- “Virtual classroom evaluation 2011”. IT Services at UQ, The University of Queensland, Australia, 2011, Web. Accessed 15 July 2012.http://www.its.uq.edu.au/index.html?page=169750&pid=144707
- “Competitive comparisons”. GetConnect, Adobe Connect partner, 2011. Web. Accessed 3 April 2012. http://www.getconnect.com/resources/competitiveprodcompare/
- “Evaluation-Benchmark”. TeamViewer, [n.d.]. Web. Accessed 3 April 2012. http://www.teamviewer.com/en/res/excel/TeamViewer-Benchmark-en.xls
- F.C. Serce and S. Yildirim, “A web-based synchronous collaborative review tool: a case study of an on-line graduate course”. Educational Technology & Society, vol. 9, no. 2, 2006, pp. 166-177.
- R.E. Griffin, D.M. Friedman, and J.S. Miko, “Discover how virtual classroom software (VCS) can revolutionize your distance education classroom”. Proceedings of the EDUCAUSE Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference, Baltimore, Maryland , 17-19 January 2007.
- S. Sharma and S. Gupta, “The virtual classroom: the role of ICT in open and distance learning”. International Journal of Computer, Communication and Emerging Technology (IJCCET), vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 8-12, April 2012.
- P. Chatterton, “Designing for participant engagement with Blackboard Collaborate: a good practice guide to using Blackboard Collaborate to support teaching, learning & assessment, co-operative working and conferences”. The Joint Integrated Information Environment Committee (JISC). Web. Accessed 19 May 2012. http://www.jisc.ac.uk/whatwedo/programmes/elearning/collaborateguidance.aspx
- K. Michael, “Virtual classroom: reflections of online learning”. Campus-Wide Information Systems, vol. 29, no. 3, 2012, pp. 156-165.
- P. Jones, M. Kolloff, and F. Kolloff, “Using web conferencing to promote learning in online courses: resources, tools, and methods,” in Proceedings of Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference 2012, 5 March 2012, Austin, Texas, USA, P. Resta, Ed., Chesapeake, VA: AACE, 2012, pp. 481-486.
- “Global e-Learning Awards”, Learn Tech Conference & Exhibition, Web. Accessed 26 July 2012. http://worldeducationcongress.com/learntech/Awards_Categories.html
- B. Collis and J. Moonen, Flexible Learning in a Digital World, 2nd ed., London: Routledge and Falmer, 2004.