International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science ( IJITCS )
Social media such as Facebook, Twitter, Google+, YouTube, Instagram, and blogs are currently very popular among the Internet users. However, there is lack of studies that focus on the impact and influence of social media. The literature on how to and what measures to use for assessing social media influence is also limited. This paper describes an attempt to investigate how the influence of social media can be measured. The main aim of the study is to identify measures on how to assess the influence of social media. Using literature analysis and brainstorming session with the experts, this study identified six main criteria that can be used to measure social media influence which are Likes, Subscribers, Comments, Posts, Shares, and Links. These criteria are grouped into three dimensions – recognition, activity generation, and novelty.
:social media; social media influence; social media assessment; influence criteria
- Agarwal, N., Liu, H., Tang, L., & Yu, P.S. Identifying Influential bloggers in a community, WSDM ’08, February 11-12, California, USA, 2008.
- Gillmore, D. We the Media: Grassroots journalism by the people, for the people. USA: O’Reilly, 2006.
- Keller, E., & Berry, J. One American in ten tells the other nine how to vote, where to eat, what to buy. They are the influentials. USA: the Free Press, 2003
- Shahizan Hassan, NorshuhadaShiratuddin, MohdFo’adSakdan, NorLailyHashim, MohdSamsuSajat. Measuring blog influence: Recognition, Activity Generation, and Novelty. International Journal of Interactive Communication Systems and Technologies, 2(1), 1-17, 2012.
- Agarwal, N., & Liu, H. Blogosphere: Research Issues, Tools and Applications. SIGKDD Exploration Newsletter, 10(1): 18-31, 2008.
- Bentwood, J. Distributed influence: quantifying the impact of social media, Edelman White Paper. USA: Edelman, 2007.
- Lake, C. 0 ways to measure social media success, eConsultancy: Digital Marketing Excellence, 2009. Available at 3407-10-ways-to-measure-social-media-success
- NorshuhadaShiratuddin, Shahizan Hassan, NorLailyHashim, MohdFo’adSakdan, &MohdSamsuSajat. Blog Influence Index: A Measure of Influential Weblog. International Journal of Virtual Communities and Social Networking (IJVCSN), 3 (3), 35-45, 2011.