International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science ( IJITCS )
The use of computer has become sin qua non in all areas of human endeavor. This research paper conducts an investigative study on effect of computer application on attainment of educational goals in science and technical education. The researchers developed computer application software (computer-Based Learning system). Research methodology-compared the usefulness of Computer-Based Learning System designed by the researchers and typical face-to-face classroom teaching. Seven hundred and eighteen students were sampled, the sampled population was divided into two equal parts, a group was taught with software developed by the researchers while the second group was taught the same concept with normal face-to-face method. The same questions were set for the sampled population and exams were conducted under the same condition. It was discovered that 67% of group taught with the Computer-Based Learning System scored 50% above and only 38% of the second group scored 50% above. The result implied that Computer Based Learning System is viable tool for Attainment of Educational Goals & Objectives in Science and Technical Education.
: educational goals, computer-based learning system, face-to-face classroom teaching, science education.
- Chesebro, J. W. & Bonsall, D. G. (2009). Computer- mediated communication: Human relationships in a computerized world. Tuscaloosa, AL: The University of Alabama Press
- Derek R. Lane (1994) Computer-Mediated Communication in the Classroom: Asset or Liability? Workshop presented at the Interconnect '94 Teaching, Learning & Technology Conference. University of Oklahoma
- Dern, D. P. (1992). Applying the internet. Byte, 111-118.
- Dyrli, O. E. (2008). The internet: Bringing global resources to the classroom. Technology and Learning, 50-58.
- Field, C. E. (2006). Internet: Connecting to a universe of information. InCider/A+, 36-40.
- Kantor, A. (2004). Making on-line services work for you. PC Magazine, 111-158.
- Kehoe, B. (2000). Zen and the Art of the Internet. Des Plaines, IL: Prentice-Hall.
- Krol, Ed. (2005). The Whole Internet User's Guide and Catalog. Cambridge, MA: O'Reilly & Associates.
- Marine, A., Kirkpatrick, S., Neou, V., & Ward, C. (2003). Internet: Getting Started. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: PTR Prentice Hall.
- Metz, J. M. (2005). Computer mediated- communication: Perceptions of a new context. Paper presented at the Speech Communication Association annual conference, Chicago, IL.
- Ray, G. (1993, March). "Internet wires users to the world." Computerworld, 22, 59.
- Rice, R. E. & Love, G. (2003). Electronic emotion: Socio emotional content in a computer- mediated communication network. Communication Research, 14, 85-108.
- Scharlott, B. W. & Christ, W. G. (2004). Overcoming relationship-initiation barriers: The impact of a computer-dating system on sex role, shyness, and appearance inhibition. Unpublished manuscript, Northern Kentucky University.
- Smeltzer, D. K. (2004). Computer-mediated communication: An analysis of the relationship of message structure and message intent. Educational Technology, 51-54.
- Spitzberg, B. H. (1988). Communication Competence: Measures of perceived effectiveness. In C. H. Tardy (Ed.), Handbook for the study of human communication (pp. 67-105). Norwood, NJ: Albex.
- Spitzberg, B. H. (2006). Assessment options for interpersonal competence. Paper presented at the Speech Communication Association Conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Walther, J. B. (2005). Impression-development in computer-mediated interaction. Western Journal of Communication, 57, 381-398.
- Walther, J. B., & Burgoon, J. K. (1992). Relational communication in computer-mediated interaction. Human Communication Research, 19, 50-88.
- Watzlawick, P., Beavin, J. H., & Jackson, D. D. (2000). Pragmatics of human communication: A study of interactional patterns, pathologies, and paradoxes. New York: Norton.
- Yekini, N.A., & Lawal O.N. (2011). ICT for Accountants Volume 2; Hasfem Publication Nigeria
- Yekini, N.A., Adigun J.O., & Rufai, M.M. (2012). ICT Tool to Improve Quality Assurance In Africa Educational System (Nigeria As Case Study). JCS&T Vol. 12 No. 1 April 2012