International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science ( IJITCS )
This paper evaluates the performance of Phasor measurements under medium access and packet transmission in Local Area Networks. Four models of networks are evaluated: CSMA/CD (e.g. Ethernet), CSMA/ AMP (e.g. CAN), Round Robin (e.g. Token Bus) and Switched Ethernet. The error of Phasor measurements is evaluated for the effects of network Band-width and Latency. The criterion for evaluating is the Total Vector Error as define in IEEE C37.118 standard and the allowable maximum value of Latency is the value defined in IEC 61850 communication standard.
: Phasor; Local Area Network; Total Vector Error; IEEE C37.118; in IEC 61850
- C. P. Steinmetz, Theory and calculation of alternating current phenomena vol. 4: McGraw-Hill Book Company, inc., 1916.
- IEEE, "IEEE Std C37.118™- Standard for Synchrophasor for Power Systems," ed, 2005.
- A. Phadke, J. Thorp, and M. Adamiak, "A new measurement technique for tracking voltage phasors, local system frequency, and rate of change of frequency," Power Apparatus and Systems, IEEE Transactions on, pp. 1025-1038, 1983.
- A. Phadke, "Synchronized phasor measurements in power systems," Computer Applications in Power, IEEE, vol. 6, pp. 10-15, 1993.
- H. Ma and A. A. Girgis, "Identification and tracking of harmonic sources in a power system using a Kalman filter," Power Delivery, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 11, pp. 1659-1665, 1996.
- V. M. Saiz and J. B. Guadalupe, "Application of Kalman filtering for continuous real-time tracking of power system harmonics," in Generation, Transmission and Distribution, IEE Proceedings-, 1997, pp. 13-20.
- P. Dash, A. Pradhan, and G. Panda, "Frequency estimation of distorted power system signals using extended complex Kalman filter," Power Delivery, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 14, pp. 761-766, 1999.
- S. Bittanti and S. M. Savaresi, "On the parametrization and design of an extended Kalman filter frequency tracker," Automatic Control, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 45, pp. 1718-1724, 2000.
- P. Dash, R. Jena, G. Panda, and A. Routray,"An extended complex Kalman filter for frequency measurement of distorted signals," Instrumentation and Measurement, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 49, pp. 746-753, 2000.
- P. Dash, A. Pradhan, G. Panda, and R. Jena, "Harmonics estimation in stressed electric power networks," in Power Electronics and Drive Systems, 2001. Proceedings., 2001 4th IEEE International Conference on, 2001, pp. 782-788.
- R. Aghazadeh, H. Lesani, M. Sanaye-Pasand, and B. Ganji, "New technique for frequency and amplitude estimation of power system signals," IEE Proceedings-Generation, Transmission and Distribution, vol. 152, pp. 435-440, 2005.
- IEC, "Communication networks and systems in substations: Specific Communication System Mapping (SCSM) – Sampled Values over ISO/IEC 8802-3," vol. IEC 61850-9-2, ed, 2003.
- "IEC 61850 Standard for Communication Network and Systems in Substations," ed, 2003.
- A. A. Girgis, W. B. Chang, and E. B. Makram, "A digital recursive measurement scheme for online tracking of power system harmonics," Power Delivery, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 6, pp. 1153-1160, 1991.
- M. Ohlin, D. Henriksson, and A. Cervin, "TrueTime 1.5 Reference Manual," Department of Automatic Control, Lund University, Sweden, 2007.
- M. Passerini, "Design of an ECMA368 simulator for evaluating network performance for electrical substation applications based on IEC618510," Master’s Thesis Project, KTH Electrical Engineering, KTH Royal Institute of Technlogy, Stockholm, Sweden September 2008, XR-EERT 2008: 021.
- A. Fiorenza and J. Kjellsson, "Performance Evaluation of an ECMA368 network in an electrical substation application based on IEC61850," ABB Corporate Research, Sweden, 2008.
- "IEC 61850-9-2 LE: Implementation Guideline for Digital Interface to Instrument Transformers Using IEC 61850 9-2," ed: UCA International Users Group.