International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science ( IJITCS )
The increased traffic in cities has always posed a serious problem in many developing regions, resulting to the need of a smart system that could efficiently handle traffic congestion based on the density of traffic. One such attempt is explained in this paper which will provide a means of handling gridlocks. Samples are taken at regular intervals from a live video feed that are mounted on signal posts. The obtained samples are converted into gray scale and are edge detected using Canny Edge Detection which is then compared with a reference image. The reference image is primarily a sample of the empty road which is also edge detected using Canny Algorithm. Both these samples are deducted, the resulting output consists of pixels that will be proportional to the density of the traffic. The pixel count is passed to a fuzzy controller that will determine the time period to be allocated for the congested road. A round robin technique is used to ensure that all roads are serviced. By the use of this method, it thus becomes possible to cut down the traffic delays and fuel wastages. The method can be used to ease traffic in unplanned road networks, eventually resulting into several bottleneck roads .
: Fuzzy , Round robin ,Canny detection, Gridlock.
- Hoyer, R., Jumar, U., “Fuzzy Control of Traffic Lights”, Proc. IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems, pp 1526-1531, 1994.
- Dr. Devinder Kaur, Elisa Konga, Esa Konga, “Fuzzy Traffic Light Controller, Circuits and Systems” 1994, Proceedings of the 37th Midwest Symposium pp.1507-1510 Vol.2, August,1994.
- Kok Khiang Tan, Marzuki Khalid and Rubiyah Yusof,” Intelligent traffic lights control by fuzzy logic”, Malaysian Journal of Computer Science, Vol. 9 No. 2, pp. 29-35, Dec. 1996.
- Stephen Chiu and Sujeet Chand, “Self-Organizing Traffic Control via Fuzzy Logic”, Proc.32nd IEEE Conf. on Decision & Control San Antonio, Texas, pp. 1890-1897, Dec. 1993.
- AUSTROADS Guide to Traffic Engineering Part 7: Traffic Signals (3rd Edition), Association of Australian State road and Transport Authorities, Sydney, Australia. ISBN 0855886226, 2003.
- K. Bisset and R. Kelsey, Simulation of Traffic Flow and Control using Conventional, Fuzzy and Adaptive methods, Proc. 1992 European Simulation Multiconference, 1992
- O.Cordon,F.Herrera,F.HoffmannandL.Magdalena,Genetic fuzzy systems: Evolutionary tuning and learning of fuzzy knowledge bases, Advances in Fuzzv Systems-Applications and Theory, Vol.19, World Scientific Publishing, ISBN: 981-02-4017- 1, 2001.
- Choudekar,P.Banerjee,S.Muju,M.K.,“RealTimeTrafficLight Control Using Image Processing”, Indian Journal of Computer Science and Engineering (IJCSE), ISSN : 0976-5166 Vol. 2 No. 1, March 2011.