International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science ( IJITCS )
This study explores how playing a SNG(Social Network Game) entitled ‘Farmville’ related to student’ s academic achievement in consumer ecucation. In order to answer this research question, resources and gaming activities of Farmville related to the school curriculum activities were explored, identified, and organized. The participants of this study consisted of sixty seven 5th, 6th graders at a Korean elementary school. As results, Farmville activities were positively related to achieving the consumer education objectives in Korean elementary schools. This study showed the Farmville gameplay significantly related to gamers ’ achievements in consumer education, and Farmville can be a good tool in consumer education.
:SNG, FarmVille, Consumer Education, Economy Learning
- Y. C. Kim, “Analysis of Growth Trends of Social Network Game Market,” Korea Information Science Society Review, pp. 73-79, 2011
- T. G. Kim, S. H. Ryu, B. P. Kyung and W. B. Lee, “Social Network Games (SNG) to concentrate on the analysis of causes,” International Conference on Digital Policy & Management, vol. 10(1), pp. 445-453, 2012.
- J. C. Park, S. J. Jun and H. J. Lee, “The Effects of Social Network Service Activities in the Consumers` Knowledge Creation and Continuous Intention to Use,” Journal of the Korea Service Management Society, vol. 12(4), pp. 201-226, 2011.
- J. H. Lee, “A Study on the Current Status and Development Plans of Social Network Games,” Digital Storytelling Research, vol. 5, pp. 9-37, 2010.
- M. K. Jae and Y. O. Kim, “The Effect of Consumer Education and Other Related Factors on the Consumer Competency of Elementary School Child, ” Journal of Korean Home Economics Education Association, vol. 14(3), pp. 25-36, 2002.
- N. A. Cho, “A study of Adolescents Facebook Use through Social Capital Formation,”. Korean journal of youth studies, vol. 18(5), pp. 267-288 , 2011.
- S. O. Cho, “A Study on the Children Consumer Education in Practical Arts,” The Journal of Korea elementary education, vol. 8(1), pp. 363-391, 1996.
- J. S. Han, “Economic Knowledge of Elementary School Students in the Kyonggi and Inchon Region,” The Journal of Elementary Education, vol. 16, pp. 127-146, 1999.
- H. W. Han and S. Shim, “Analysis on User Behavior of Social Game,” The Korea Contents Society , vol. 10(12), pp. 137-145, 2010.
- Y. J. Hong, “Present Condition and Prospect of Social Network Game,” SNS and Industrial Engineering, pp. 33-37, Spring 2011
- D. S. Hwang and M. R. Kim, “A Study on the Children’s Consumer Ability,” Consumer Sciences Study, vol. 8(2), pp. 119-135, 1997.
- Appdata, Latest AppData Update, Tuesday, July 20, 2010.(http://www.appdata. com)
- H. K. Park, and J. H. Choi, “Educational Social Network Game effect on pre-college student learning : Based on Mobile Platform,” HCI 2011, pp. 1070-1074.