International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science ( IJITCS )
In this paper, we tackle the issue of exploiting the priority based packet generations and transmissions in wireless sensor networks for cattle health monitoring system. Since the limited network resources of WSN make it difficult to provide prioritized data communications, we propose a traffic adaptive priority support scheme, which monitors the buffer status of each node to identify the its processing ratio and dynamically adjusts its backoff value and frame retransmission parameter according to predefined access categories (ACs). In addition, we also design and develop a HL7 interface that encodes and decodes HL7 messages containing cattle health information. Finally, extended simulations are conducted and revealed that the proposed scheme provides a more efficient cattle health monitoring solution than legacy IEEE 802.15.4 in terms of packet delivery ratio and end-to-end delay.
:Wireless Sensor Networks; HL7; Cattle Monitoring Systems
- Wei Ye, John Heidemann and Deborah Estrin, "An Energy-Efficient MAC Protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks," Proc. Of INFOCOM 2002.
- T. van Dam and K. Langendoen, “An adaptive energy-efficient MAC protocol for wireless sensor networks,” Proc. of ACM Intl. Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys), Nov. 2003
- Draft IEEE Std. 802.15.4, Part 15.4, "Wireless Medium Access Control(MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications for Low-Rate Wireless Personal Area Networks (WPANs)," September 2006
- HL7 – Healthcare Level 7, URL: http://www.hl7.org/
- Raza, I., Chaudhry, S.R., Hussain, S.A., Abid, S.A., Raza, H, "Optimised priority assignment mechanism for biomedical wireless sensor networks," IET Wireless Sensor Systems, Vol. 2, Issue 2, June 2012.
- Jalel Ben-Othman, Lynda Mokdad, Bashir Yahya, "An Energy Efficient Priority-based QoS MAC Protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks," Proc. of IEEE ICC 2011.
- Heping Wang, Xiaobo Zhang, Fraid Naït-Abdesselam and Ashfaq Khokhar, "Cross-Layer Optimized MAC to Support Multi-hop QoS Routing for Wireless Sensor Networks," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol.59, No.5, June 2010.
- Saxena, N., Roy, A., and Shin, J., "QoS-based energy-aware MAC protocol for wireless multimedia sensor networks," In Proceedings of the IEEE VTC 2008.
- Eclipse Project, URL: http://www.eclipse.org
- S. McCanne and S. Floyd, “NS network simulator,” URL: http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns