International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science ( IJITCS )
Intelligent Vehicle driving Safety assistant systems have become an essential necessity nowadays as the growth of automation of daily life careers increases. One of its functions is the ability of recognizing the traffic lights and detecting their status. In this paper, a system for monitoring the traffic light status is presented, by passing the video frames through shape and color classifiers. The shape classifier is based on the extracted edges as the classifier parameter. It uses Multilayer Feed forward Neural Network for classification. Alternately, the shape classifier can be implemented using template matching where the traffic light is detected using its perspectives ratio and the matching with prepared traffic light templates is accomplished. The color classifier uses a range of the red color histogram to recognize the red color of the traffic light. The experimental results show that the proposed system has high performance both in shape and color detection.
: Intelligent driving systems; image processing; image matching; neural network; Artificial Intelligent.
- “Accidents Statistics ”, [online] KCAT Web Site. Available: http://www.trafficsafety.org.sa/statistics.htm. [Accessed: Jan. 10,2007].
- H. Fleyeh and M. Dougherty ,”Road and Traffic sign detection and recognition”, Advanced OR and AI Methods in Transportation, 2003.
- T.Zhuowen and L.Ron ,”Automatic Recognition of Civil Infrastructure Objects In Mobile Mapping Imagery Using A Markov Random Field Model”, ISPRS, Vol. XXXIII, Amsterdam, 2000.
- C.Y.Chung, W.J.Ming,and C.S.Wang, “A Vision-Based Traffic Light Detection System at Intersections”,2002.
- F.Lindner , U.Kressel, and S.Kaelberer, “Robust Recognition of Traffic Signals”, in IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium , pp. 49-53, June 2004.
- D.Eddowes and J.krahe, “Traffic Lights Recognition in a Scene using a PDA”,2003.
- “Edge detection”, Edge detection. [Online]. Available: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edge_detection. [Accessed: Nov. 28,2006].
- B.Green, “Edge Detection Tutorial”, Edge Detection Tutorial, 2002. [Online]. Available: http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~weg22/edge.html. [Accessed: Nov. 28,2006].
- A.Dave and M. George, Artificial Neural Networks Technology: a DACS State-of-the-Art Report. New York: Kaman Sciences Corporation, 1992.
- F.James and S.David, Neural Networks: Algorithms, Applications, and Programming Techniques. Addison- Wesley, 1991.
- R.Lienhart and J.Maydt, “An Extended Set of Haar-like Features for Rapid Object Detection”, in IEEE ICIP 2002,vol.1,2002.
- P.Viola and M.Jones, “Rapid Object Detection using a Boosted Cascade of SimpleFeatures”, in Proceedings IEEE Conf. on computer Vision and Pattern Recognition 2001,2001.
- P.Paclik, J.Novovi_cov_a, P.Pudil, and P.Somol, “ Road Sign Classification using the Laplace Kernel
Classifier”, in citeseer.