International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science ( IJITCS )
Smartphone is one of the most innovative invention that is the closest with our everyday life. Invention and development of smartphone brought a lot of social issues, changed our life, and it is still changing. As the number of smartphone user increase and various devices and smartphone applications are being made, instruction for smartphone became more diverse and complicated, and smartphone users react more sensitively with function of device, and utilization of application. In order to satisfy this, manufacturing companies devote all their energy on improvement of efficiency and development of application, however, they have not been able to give a clear answer for performance degradation which is inevitable issue on using various applications. In this paper aims to find cause of frequent IO in actual use by taking degradation of smartphone as a topic and collecting and analyzing IO trace information of users.
: Android, Smartphone, IO Characterization
- A. Riska and E. Riedel, "Disk Drive Level Workload Characterization," in USENIX Annual Technical Conference, General Track, 2006, pp. 97-102.
- C. Ruemmler and J. Wilkes, "UNIX disk access patterns," in USENIX Winter, 1993, pp. 405-420.
- M. F. Arlitt and C. L. Williamson, "Internet web servers: Workload characterization and performance implications," IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (ToN), vol. 5, pp. 631-645, 1997.
- K. Kant and Y. Won, "Server capacity planning for web traffic workload," Knowledge and Data Engineering, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 11, pp. 731-747, 1999.
- S.-W. Lee, B. Moon, and C. Park, "Advances in flash memory SSD technology for enterprise database applications," in Proceedings of the 2009 ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of data, 2009, pp. 863-870.
- T. Harter, C. Dragga, M. Vaughn, A. C. Arpaci-Dusseau, and R. H. Arpaci-Dusseau, "A file is not a file: understanding the I/O behavior of Apple desktop applications," ACM Transactions on Computer Systems (TOCS), vol. 30, p. 10, 2012.
- M. Zhou and A. J. Smith, "Analysis of personal computer workloads," in Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems, 1999. Proceedings. 7th International Symposium on, 1999, pp. 208-217.
- H. Verkasalo, "Analysis of smartphone user behavior," in Mobile Business and 2010 Ninth Global Mobility Roundtable (ICMB-GMR), 2010 Ninth International Conference on, 2010, pp. 258-263.
- H. Falaki, R. Mahajan, S. Kandula, D. Lymberopoulos, R. Govindan, and D. Estrin, "Diversity in smartphone usage," in Proceedings of the 8th international conference on Mobile systems, applications, and services, 2010, pp. 179-194
- K. Lee and Y. Won, "Smart layers and dumb result: IO characterization of an android-based smartphone," presented at the Proceedings of the tenth ACM international conference on Embedded software, Tampere, Finland, 2012.
- S. Jeong, K. Lee, S. Lee, S. Son, and Y. Won, "I/O stack optimization for smartphones," in Presented as part of the 2013 USENIX Annual Technical Conference}, 2013, pp. 309-320.
- Y. Nakamura, K. Nagata, S. Nomura, and S. Yamaguchi, "I/O scheduling in Android devices with flash storage," in Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Ubiquitous Information Management and Communication, 2014, p. 83.
- M. Choi and S. H. Lim, "x86 ‐Android performance improvement for x86 smart mobile devices," Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience, 2014.
- C.-M. Lin, J.-H. Lin, C.-R. Dow, and C.-M. Wen, "Benchmark dalvik and native code for android system," in Innovations in Bio-inspired Computing and Applications (IBICA), 2011 Second International Conference on, 2011, pp. 320-323.
- Android, the world's most popular mobile platform. Available: http://developer.android.com/about/index.html
- A. Chauhan and V. Gaikar, "LG Google Nexus 5 Launched with Android 4.4 KitKat," 2013.
- Nexus 5(google/LG). Available: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nexus_5
- S. Jeong, K. Lee, J. Hwang, S. Lee, and Y. Won, "Androstep: Android storage performance analysis tool," in ME13: In Proc. of the First European Workshop on Mobile Engineering, Aachen, Germany, 2013, pp. 327-340.
- S. Jeong, K. Lee, J. Hwang, S. Lee, and Y. Won, "Framework for Analyzing Android I/O Stack Behavior: From Generating theWorkload to Analyzing the Trace," Future Internet, vol. 5, pp. 591-610, 2013.
- Mobile storage analyer (most). Available: http://dmclab.hanyang.ac.kr/sub/main_most.htm