International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science ( IJITCS )
Smart Grid-The intelligent electricity grid empowers bi-directional communication between utility and its consumers. Unlike traditional grid, smart grid encourages consumers to participate in demand response program. Demand Response program allows the consumers to reduce or shift the energy usage from peak to offpeak period. This potentially offers energy efficiency. In this paper, we have proposed multicast communication for demand response messages using 3GPP LTE to reduce the power consumption. During peak energy consumption period, utility centers multicast a demand-response message to a group of residential users. The multicast message prompts the users to reduce their power usage to enforce energy efficiency. Because of limited resources, multicast is the most significant work to advertise messages to a group of smart grid users to reduce network traffic. Our model strives for green environment by reducing network traffic level and power consumption of users. We have simulated our proposed model in OMNET++ simulator using SimuLTE module. For power shortage of 20%, our protocol decreases round trip time up to 56.94% by using our multicast group with 40 users compared to 100 users.
:Smart Grids; Demand Response; Residential Demand Response program; Energy Efficiency; Multicast; 4G LTE networks; OMNET++.
- B. Hamilton and M. Summy, “Benefits of the smart grid”, IEEE Power Energy Magazine, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 104–102, Jan.–Feb. 2011.
- James Momoh, “Smart Grid: Fundamentals of Design and Analysis.”
- YuzheXu, Carlo Fischione, “REAL-TIME SCHEDULING IN LTE FOR SMART GRIDS,” Proceedings of the 5th International Symposium on Communications, Control and Signal Processing, ISCCSP , Rome, Italy, 2-4 May 2012.
- TAN Chong1, YU Kai1, CHEN Shi2, SU Han3, WANG Haifeng2, BU Zhiyong1, “Distributed Channel Allocation Scheme based on LTE System in Smart Grid”
- Muhammad Basit Shahab, Asif Hussain, and Muhammad Shoaib, “Smart Grid Traffic Modeling and Scheduling Using 3GPP LTE for Efficient Communication with Reduced RAN Delays” TSP 2013: 263-267
- ”Communication Requirements of Smart Grid Technologies,” US Department of Energy, Oct. 5, 2010, [online] Available: http://www.greendmv.org
- Jason Brown, Jamil Y. Khan, ”Performance comparison of LTE FDD and TDD based Smart Grid communications networks for uplink biased traffic.” SmartGridComm , 276-281, 2012
- Jason Brown, Jamil Y. Khan: ”Performance analysis of an LTE TDD based smart grid communications network for uplink biased traffic.” GLOBECOM Workshops ,1502-1507, 2012
- Peng Cheng, Li Wang, Bin Zhen, and Shihua Wang ”Feasibility Study of Applying LTE to Smart Grid”, IEEE First International Workshop on Smart Grid Modeling and Simulation (SGMS) , 2011
- ”OMNET++ Network Simulation Framework”, [online] Available: www.omnetpp.org
- ”INET Framework”, [online] Available: www.inet.omnetpp.org
- ”SimuLTESystem level Simulator” [online] Available: www.simulte.com
- K.P. Schneider, J.C. Fuller, and D. Chassin, ”Analysis of distribution level residential demand response,” Power Systems Conference and Exposition (PSCE), IEEE/PES, vol., no., pp.1-6, 20-23 March 2011.
- A. Cuevas, C. Lastres, Caffarel, R. Mart nez, and A. Santamara, Next generation of Energy Residential Gateways for Demand Response and Dynamic Pricing,” Consumer Electronics (ICCE), IEEE International Conference, vol., no., pp.543-544, 9-12 Jan. 2011.
- Ward Jewell, “The Effects of Residential Energy Efficiency on Electric Demand Response Programs,” IEEE Computer Society, 2014 47th Hawaii International Conference on System Science.
- Ying Li and Mark Trayer, ”Automated residential demand response: Algorithmic implications of pricing models,” Consumer Electronics (ICCE), IEEE International Conference, vol., no., pp.626-629, 13-16 Jan. 2012
- S. Tiptipakorn, and Wei-Jen Lee, ”A Residential Consumer-Centered Load Control Strategy in Real-Time Electricity Pricing Environment,” Power Symposium, 2007. NAPS ’07. 39th North American, vol., no., pp.505-510, Sept. 30 2007-Oct. 2 2007.
- R. Gunther, L. Levitin, B. Shapiro, P. Wagner (1996), ”Zipf’s law and the effect of ranking on probability
distributions”, International Journal of Theoretical Physics, 35(2):395-417