International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science ( IJITCS )
The aims of this study were to investigate the different effects of traditional picture book, interactive estorybook, and different backgrounds variables (genders) on kindergarteners’ reading comprehension. Quasi-experimental design was conducted for the current study with 30 five-year-old participants from a kindergarten in Taiwan. The subjects were divided into two groups: children read the story on an interactive e-storybook (the experimental group) and children read the story on a traditional picture book (the control group). Independent ttest of statistical analyses was be used in the study. The whole experiment was recorded by a VCR, and the qualitative data were also analyzed. The results of this study were revealed as the following: (1) Children who used an e-storybook got better scores on reading comprehension and textually explicit than children in the control group. (2) There were no significant differences between genders on the scores of reading comprehension and reading attitude. (3) Children who read an e-storybook could retell more literal information and provide better responses to theopen-ended questions compared to the control group. (4) Children from both groups prefer more interactive content design. Finally, according to the results of this study, some suggestions were provided for the educators, writers of the children’s storybooks, and future researches.
: interactive e-storybook; reading comprehension; kindergartener .
- 張貴林、黃秀霜、鄒慧英 (2010）。從國際比較觀點探討臺灣學生 PISA 2006 閱讀素養表現特徵。課程與教學季刊，13 (1)，21-46。
- 林巧敏 (2008)。迎接閱讀新浪潮，閱讀與國家競爭力。全國新書資訊月刊，118，4-9。
- 陳永昌 (2009)。讓每一位孩子都是小小愛書人：「Bookstart 閱讀起步走」在臺推動三年紀事。臺北市立圖書館館訊， 26 (3)，17-23。
- 孟瑛如、陳虹君（2012）。從語文課程綱要探討華語地區學生的閱讀表現與問題。特教論壇，12 51-71。  舒華、黎程正家 (2000)。認知心理學與兒童閱讀發展。教育曙光，42，76-83。
- 張春興 (2001）。教育心理學－三化取向的理論與實踐。台北：東華書局。
-  周怡君(2006)。電子童書之互動程度在兒童閱聽成效及態度上之影響。國立台灣科技大學設計所碩士論文，未出版，台北市。
-  陳慧卿 (2002)。國小二年級學童對紙本童書與電子童書閱讀能力研究。朝陽科技大學幼兒保育碩士論文，未出版，台 中市。
-  蘇振明 (2002）。圖畫書與兒童教育。載於徐素霞主編，台灣兒童圖畫導賞 28-32。臺北：國立立台灣藝術教育館館。
- Logan, S. , Medford, E. & Hughes, N.（2011）.The importance of intrinsic motivation for high and low ability readers' reading comprehension performance. Learning and Individual Differences, 21（1）, 124-128.
- Speece, D. L., ＆ Shekita, L. (2002). How should reading disabilities be operated? A survey of expert. Learning Disabilities Research ＆ Practice, 17, 118-123.
- Robinson, M.(2013, May 16). Children who read on iPads or Kindles have weaker literacy skills and are less likely to enjoy it as a pastime, charity warns. Daily Mail Online. Retried Aug 23, 2013, from
- Clark, D. T., Goodwin, S. P., Samuelson, T., & Coker, C. (2008). A qualitative assessment of the Kindle e-book reader: Results from initial focus groups. Performance Measurement and Metrics, 9(2), 118-129.
- Jamali, H. R., Nicholas, D., & Rowlands, I. (2009). Scholarly ebooks: The views of 16,000 academics Results from the JISC National E-Book Observatory. Aslib Proceedings, 61(1), 33-47.
- Shepperd, J. A., Grace, J. L., & Koch, E. J. (2008). Evaluating the electronic textbook: Is it time to dispense with the paper text? Teaching of Psychology, 35(1), 2-5.
- Roskos. K., Burstein, K., You, Byeong-Keun, Brueck, J., & O’Brien, C. (2011). A formative study of an ebook instructional model in early literacy. Creative Education, 2(1), 10-17.
- Moody, A. (2010). Using electronic books in the classroom to enhance emergent literacy skills in young children. Journal of Literacy and Technology, 11(4), 22-52.
- Paivio, A. (1971). Imagery and verbal processes: Holt, Rinehart and Winston New York.
- Ireland, G.V., & Woollerton, M. (2010). The impact of the iPad and iPhone on education. Journal of Bunkyo Gakuin University, (10), 31-48. Retrieved Aug 23, 2013, from http://www.ubunkyo.ac.jp/ center/library/image/fsell2010_031-048.pdf
- ]Korat, O. (2010). Reading electronic books as a support for vocabulary, story comprehension and word reading in kindergarten and first grade. Computers &Education, 55(1), 24 - 31.
- Conklin, J. (1987) .Hypertext: An introduction and survey,IEEE Computer, 2(9), 17-41.
- De Jong, M. T., & Bus, A. G. (2002). Quality of book-reading matters for emergent readers: An experiment with the same book in a regular or electronic format. Journal of Educational Psychology, 94(1), 145.
- Segers, E., Takke, L., & Verhoeven, L. (2004). Teachermediated versus computer-mediated storybook reading to children in native and multicultural kindergarten classrooms. School Effectiveness and School Improvement, 15, 215-226.
- Greenlee-Moore, M.E., & Smith, L.L. (1996). Interactive computer software: The effects on young children's reading achievement. Reading Psychology, 17, 43-64
- Chall, J. S. (1996). Stages of reading development (2nd ed.). Fort Worth, TX: Harcourt Brace.
- Roskos, K., Brueck, J., &Widman, S. (2009). Investigating Analytic Tools for e-Book Design in Early Literacy Learning. Journal of Online Interactive Learning, 8(3).
- Plowman, L., McPake, J., & Stephen, C. (2010). The Technologisation of Childhood? Young Children and Technology in the Home. Children & Society, 24, 63–74. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2325378/.
- Kress, G. (2003). Literacy in the new media age. London, UK: Routledge.
- Selbar, S. A. (2004). Multiliteracies for a digital age. Carbondale, IL: Southern Illinois University Press.
- Tapscott, D. (2008). Grown up digital: How the Net generation is changing your world. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
- Cheng, Y. C., Liao, W. H., Li, T. Y., Chueh, C. P., & Cho, H. C. (2013). Exploring the reading experiences of high school students on E-Book reader. International Journal of Online Pedagogy and Course Design (IJOPCD), 3(1), 17-32.
- Pearson, P. D. , Johnson, D. D.,(1978). Teaching reading comprehension. NY:Holt,Rinehart and Winston.
- Verhallen, M. J. A. J., Bus, A. G., & de Jong, M. T. (2006). The promise of multimedia stories for kindergarten children at risk. Journal of Educational Psychology, 98(2), 410.