International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science ( IJITCS )
Data warehouse has become a very important tool for supporting the corporate executives in making important decisions in a highly competitive business environment. Data warehouse enables the top management to acquire and analyze integrated data extracted globally across the enterprise. Many organizations are sitting on vast amount of data already accumulated in their operational database. The huge data repository with potential strategic business information can be analysed comprehensively only through the usage of data warehouse system. The main objective of this paper is to systematically review the development and adoption of data warehouse design in business environment and the different models to assess the alignment between information technology strategy and business strategy.
: data warehouse design; strategic alignment; business strategy
- Bhansali, N. Strategic Alignment in Data Warehouses Two Case Studies. RMIT University, 2007.
- Wixom, B. B. H., & Watson, H. J. An Empirical Investigation of the Factors Affecting Data Warehousing Success. MIS Quarterly, 25(1), 2001, pp. 17–41.
- Watson, H. J., & Haley, B. J.. Managerial Considerations. Communications of the ACM, 41(9), 1998, pp. 32–37.
- Cooper, B. B. L., Watson, H. J., Wixom, B. H., & Goodhue, D. L.. Data Warehousing Supports Cooperate Strategy at First American Corporation. MIS Quarterly, 24(4), 2000, pp. 547–567.
- Moody, D. L., & Kortink, M. A. R.. From Enterprise Models to Dimensional Models: A Methodology for Data Warehouse and Data Market Design. In Proceedings of the International Workshop on Design and Managment of Data Warehouses (DWDW2000) (Vol. 2000, pp. 1–12). Stockholm, Sweden. 2000.
- Elson, R. J.. Data Warehouse Strategy. University of Sarasota. 2001.
- Sen, A., & Jacob, V. S.. Industrial-strength data warehousing. Communications of the ACM, 41(9), 1998, pp. 28–31.
- Fox, A.. Data Warehousing: Avoding the Pitfalls. Behavioral Health Managment, 20(3), 2000, pp. 14–19.
- Moye, J., & Upton, D.. Data Warehousing 101. Strategic Finance, 82(8), 2001, pp. 34–39.
- Rao, L., & Osei-Bryson, K.-M.. An approach for incorporating quality-based cost – benefit analysis in data warehouse design. Information Systems Frontiers, 10(3), 2008, pp. 361–373. doi:10.1007/s10796-008-90774
- Song, I., & Levan-shultz, K.. Data Warehouse Design for E-Commerce Environment. In P. P. Chen, D. W. Embley, J. Kouloumdjian, S. W. Liddle, & J. F. Roddick (Eds.), Advances in Conceptual Modeling, 1999. pp. 374–387. Springer Berlin Heidelberg. doi:10.1007/3-540-48054-4_30
- Sammon, D., & Finnegan, P.. The Ten Commandments of Data Warehousing. ACM SIGMIS Database, 31(4), 2000, pp. 82–91.
- Mate, A., Trujillo, J., & Yu, E.. Aligning Data Warehouse Requirements with Business Goals. In Proceedings of 6th International i* Workshop , 2013 , pp. 67–72.
- Sen, A., & Sinha, A. P.. A Comparision of Data Warehousing Methodologies. Communications of the ACM, 48(3), 2005, pp.79–84.
- Gardner, S. R.. Building the data warehouse. Communications in Computer and Information Science, 41(9), 1998, pp. 52–60.
- Luftman, J., & Brier, T.. Achieving and Sustaining Business-IT Alignment. California Managment Review, 42(1), 1999, pp. 109–122.
- Chan, Y.E., Sabherwal, R., & Thatcher, J. B.. Antecedents and outcomes of strategic IS alignment: an empirical investigation. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 53(1), 2006, pp. 27–47. doi:10.1109/TEM.2005.861804
- Sabherwal, R., & Chan, Y. E.. Alignment Between Business and IS Strategies: A Study of Prospectors, Analyzers, and Defenders. Information Systems Research, 12(1), 2001, pp. 11–33. doi:10.1287/isre.18.104.22.16814
- Inmon, W. H.. Building the Data Warehouse (4th ed., 2005, pp. 576). Wiley.
- Kimball, R., & Ross, M.. The Data Warehouse Toolkit: The Complete Guide to Dimensional Modeling (2nd ed., 2002, pp. 464). Wiley.
- Ang, J., & Teo, T. S. .. Management issues in data warehousing: insights from the Housing and Development Board. Decision Support Systems, 29(1), 2000, pp. 11–20. doi:10.1016/S0167-9236(99)00085-8
- Little, J. R. G., & Gibson, M. L.. Perceived Influences on Implementing Data Warehousing. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, 29(4), 2003, pp. 290–296.
- Gaskin, B. C.. Realizing the strategic value of data warehouse. Information Managment. Retrieved December 01, 2014, from http://www.information-management.com/infodirect/19981001/906-1.html, 1998.
- Paul, L. G.. Anatomy of a failure. CIO, 13(56). Retrieved from http://www.cio.com.au/article/109256/anatomy_failure/ 1998.
- Schiefer, J., List, B., & Bruckner, R. M.. A Holistic Approach for Managing Requirements of Data Warehouse Systems. In Proceedings of 8th Americas Conference on Information Systems, 2002, pp. 77–87. AIS.
- Jukic, N.. Modeling Strategies and Alternatives for Data Warehousing Projects. Communications of the ACM, 49(4), 2006, pp. 83–89.
- Weir, R.. Best Practice for Implementing a Data Warehouse. Journal of Data Warehousing, 7(1), 2002, pp. 22–29. Retrieved from http://researchrepository.napier.ac.uk/id/eprint/3343
- Haisten, M. (n.d.). Planning for a Data Warehouse. Daman Consulting. Retrieved November 29, 2013, from http://www.damanconsulting.com/company/articles/dwplanning.htm
- Hirschheim, R., & Sabherwal, R.. Detours in the Path toward Strategic Information Systems Alignment. California Management Review, 44(1), 2001, pp. 87–108. doi:10.2307/41166112
- Chan, Y.E., & Reich, B. H.. IT alignment: what have we learned? (A. Wals, Ed.)Journal of Information Technology, 22(4), 2007, pp. 297–315. doi:10.1057/palgrave.jit.2000109
- Avison, D., Jones, J., Powell, P., & Wilson, D.. Using and validating the strategic alignment model. The Journal of Strategic Information Systems, 13(3), 2004, pp. 223–246.
- Ullah, A., & Lai, R.. A Systematic Review of Business and Information Technology Alignment. ACM Transactions on Managment Information Systems, 4(1), 2013, pp. 1–30. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2445560.2445564
- Tarafdar, M., & Qrunfleh, S.. Examing Tactical Information Technology-Business Alignment. Journal of Computer Information Systems, 50(4), 2010, pp. 107–116.
- Silva, E., Plazaola, L., & Ekstedt, M.. Strategic Business and IT Alignment: A Prioritized Theory Diagram. In Proceedings of Technology Management for the Global Future (PICMET), 2006, pp. 9–13. Istanbul.
- Henderson, J. C., & Venkatraman, N.. Strategic Alignment: Leveraging Information Technology for Transforming Organizations. IBM Systems Journal, 32(1), 1993, pp. 4–16.
- Reich, B. and I. Benbasat. "Measuring the linkage between business and information technology objectives." MIS quarterly 20(1): 1996, pp. 55-81.
- Luftman, J.. Assessing Business-IT Alignment Maturity. Communications of the Association for Information Systems, 4, 2000, pp. 1–51.
- Luftman, J.. Measure Your Business-IT Alignment: The longstanding business-IT gap can be bridged with an assessement tool to rate your efforts. Optimize Magazine, 2003, pp. 77–80.
- Hout, E. Van.. Measuring Strategic Business-IT Alignment: on the Construction and Validation of a Measurement Model for Strategic Business-IT Alignment. Eindhoven University of Technology. 2012,
- Venkatraman, N.. The Concept of Fit in Strategy Research: Towards Verbal and Statistical Correspondence. The Academy of Management Review, 14(3), 1989, pp. 423–444.
- Bergeron, F., Raymond, L., & Rivard, S.. Fit in strategic information technology management research: an empirical comparison of perspectives. Omega, 29(2), 2001, pp. 125–142. Retrieved from http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0305048300000347
- Cragg, P., King, M., & Hussin, H.. IT alignment and firm performance in small manufacturing firms. The Journal of Strategic Information Systems, 11(2), 2002, pp. 109–132. doi:10.1016/S0963-8687(02)00007-0
- Tallon, P. P.. A Process-Oriented Perspective on the Alignment of Information Technology and Business Strategy. Journal of Management Information Systems, 24(3), 2007, pp. 227–268. doi:10.2753/MIS0742-1222240308
- Chan, Yolande E., Huff, S. L., Barclay, D. W., & Copeland, D. G.. Business Strategic Orientation, Information Systems Strategic Orientation and Strategic Alignment. Information Systems Research, 8(2), 1997, pp. 125–149.
- Venkatraman, N.. Strategic Orientation of Business Enterprises: The Construct, Dimensionality, and Measurement. Management Science, 35(8), 1989, pp. 942–962. doi:10.1287/mnsc.35.8.942
- Hale, A. J., Andersen Consulting, & Cragg, P. B.. Measuring Strategic Alignment in Small Firms. In Information Systems Conference of New Zealand, 1996, pp. 127–135.
- Kearns, G. S., & Lederer, A. L.. A Resource-Based View of Strategic IT Alignment: How Knowledge Sharing Creates Competitive Advantage. Decision Sciences, 34(1), 2003, pp. 1–29. doi:10.1111/1540-5915.02289
- Bergeron, F., Raymond, L., & Rivard, S.. Ideal patterns of strategic alignment and business performance. Information & Management, 41(8), 2004, pp. 1003–1020. doi:10.1016/j.im.2003.10.004