International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science ( IJITCS )
Because of the quick advance of ICT, it is said that we should changethe teaching method for the young generation grew up in the environment of ICT including video games, who are called digital natives. Accordingly, the authorsmade a project to validate that the serious game is actually effective for the education, which is the digital game that has other purposes besides enjoyments like education, training and so on and interest digital natives. This introduces a serious game the authors developed for the education and shows evaluation results of the effectiveness of the game. The authors performed two kinds of experiments using different education contents on the same game, one education content is for the higher education of medical students and the other one is for the junior high school students. From these experiments, it is clarified that our developed serious game is effective for those educations.
: serious games, mobile learning, educational contents, anatomy
- Djaouti, D. et al, 2011, Origins of Serious Games, Serious Games and Edutainment Applications, pp 25-43.
- Serious Games Initiative web site URL http://www.seriousgames.org/
- OECD health data 2013 http://stats.oecd.org/index.aspx?DataSetCode=HEALTH_STAT#
- ”MOBILE GAME FOR LEARNING BACTERIOLOGY”, Ryo Sugimura, Sotaro Kawazu, Hiroki Tamari, Kodai Watanabe, Yohei Nishimura, Toshiki Oguma, Katsushiro Watanabe, Kosuke Kaneko, Yoshihiro Okada, Motofumi Yoshida, Shigeru Takano and Hitoshi Inoue, 10th International Conference on Mobile Learning 2014, pp. 285-288, Mar. , 2014.
- Prensky, M., 2001, Digital game-based learning, McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Prensky, M. , 2001, Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants, On the Horizon, Vol.9, No.5.
- Carol M. et al, 2011, Motivating 21st Century Students to Achieve: Is Serious, Gaming, the Solution?.
- Simpson, E. S., 2005, Evolution in the Classroom: What Teachers Need to Know about the Video Game Generation , TechTrends, Vol.49, No.5, pp.17-22.
- Matsuguma, H. et al, 2011, Standing Growing Blooming Trees REHABILIUM Serious Game for Rehabilitation, Proceedings of the 9th International Conference of Asia Digital Art and Design Association (ADADA’2011), pp.227-228.
- Matsuguma, H. et al, 2012, Research and Development of Serious Games to Support Stand-up Rehabilitation Exercises, Information Processing Society of Japan Journal, Vol.53, No.3, pp.1041-1049.
- Food Force: article about on-line game, http://www.wfp.org/stories/online-game-food-force-puts-players-front-lines-hunger
- ”Inverting the Classroom: A Gateway to Creating an Inclusive Learning Environment”, Maureen J. Lage, Glenn J. Platt & Michael Treglia, The Journal of Economic Education, Vol. 31, Issue 1, pages 30-43, Winter, 2000.
- IDC, 2013, Apple Cedes Market Share in Smartphone Operating System Market as Android Surges and Windows Phone Gains, http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS24257413e