International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science ( IJITCS )
Public education is experiencing an increase in the number of Aboriginal children in Canadian classrooms. According to recent provincial policies related to Aboriginal education in Ontario (Canada), public school board administrators and elected trustees should be aware and prepared to address the uniqueness of Aboriginal epistemologies and identities that will provide culturally-sensitive school and learning environments in publicly-funded education. This paper provides the context of our ongoing work as a bi-epistemic and multidisciplinary team of Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal educators, graduate students, Elders, and Aboriginal community leaders. The research, very much aligned with our previous studies in this same area, compels a reimagining of education for Aboriginal students and communities and creates a vision of public education that transcends Eurocentric educational perspectives and paradigms .
: Aboriginal education; educational policy .
- Bachus, K.M. (2008). The education challenges facing small nation states in the increasingly competitive global economy of the twenty-first century. Comparative Education, 44(2), 127-145.
- Ball, J. (2008). Promoting equity and dignity for Aboriginal children in Canada. IRPP Choices, 14(7). 30 p,
- Cooke, M., & McWhirter, J. (2011). Public policy and Aboriginal peoples in Canada: Taking a life-course perspective. Canadian Public Policy, 37(1), S15-S31. doi: 10.1353/cpp.2011.0006
- Health Canada. (2005). First Nations Comparable Health Indicators. Ottawa, ON: Health Canada.
- Howard, A., & Widdowson, F. (2013). Running the gauntlet: Challenging the taboo obstructing Aboriginal education policy development. In F. Widdowson and A. Howard (Eds.), Approaches to Aboriginal education in Canada. (pp. 288-317). Alberta, Canada: Brush Education.
- Kanu, Y. (2011). Integrating Aboriginal perspectives into the school curriculum: Purposes, possibilities, and challenges. Toronto, ON: University of Toronto Press.
- Northwest Local Health Integration Network. (2005). Opportunities for health system integration. Ottawa, ON: Northwest LHIN Steering Committee.
- Ontario Ministry of Education. (2014). Implementation Plan: Ontario First Nation, Métis, and Inuit Education Policy Framework. Toronto, ON: Aboriginal Education Office.
- Ontario Ministry of Education. (2007). Ontario First Nation, Métis, and Inuit Education Policy Framework. Toronto, ON: Aboriginal Education Office.
- Ontario Ministry of Education. (2013). Second Progress Report on the Implementation of the Ontario First Nation, Métis, and Inuit Education Policy Framework. Toronto, ON: Aboriginal Education Office.
- Toulouse, P. R. (2013). Beyond shadows: First Nations, Métis and Inuit student success. Canadian Teachers’ Education. www.ctf-fce.ca
- Wint, A. (2002). Competitive disadvantages and advantages of small nations: An analysis of inter-nation economic performance. Journal of Eastern Caribbean Studies, 27(3), 1-25.