International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science ( IJITCS )
The increase of intima-media thickness (IMT) which involves the measurement of lumen-intima boundary (LIB) and media-adventitia boundary (MAB), of the carotid artery is one of the early symptoms of the atherosclerosis lesion. This paper reports two approaches that provide the LIB and MAB measurements, thus the determination of the IMT carotid artery. The former applies the envelope of measured in vivo RF signal on the Magnitude Squared Error (MSE) method which the reference signal obtained from the improved-adaptive model using the Gaussian window. The latter involves the measured in vivo RF signal, an adaptive model of an ultrasonic echo, which is obtained from the transmitted wave measured with a hydrophone and using the MSE method. Both of the results show significant results of error between the adaptive model and the ultrasonic measured signal. The former shows the minimum error of 20.0% to 31.9% and the latter shows of 0.07% to 0.40%. It could be summarized that the latter consists better parameters than the former .
: Atherosclerosis; Ultrasonic Echo; Envelope Signal; RF Signal; Template Matching; Phase and Frequency Components .
- D. H. O’Leary, “Carotid-artery intima and media thickness as a risk factor for myocardial infarction and stroke in older adults”, Cardiovascular Health Study Collaborative Research Group, New Engl. J. Med, vol. 340, pp. 14-22, 1999.
- P. Pignoli, E. Tremoli, A. Poli, P. Oreste, and R. Paoletti, “Intimal Plus Medial Thickness of The Arterial Wall: A Direct Measurement with Ultrasonic Imaging”, Circulation, vol. 74, pp. 1399-1406, 1986.
- L. Fan, P. Santago, W. Riley, and D. M. Herrington, “An Adaptive Template-Matching Method and Its Application to The Boundary Detection of Brachial Artery Ultrasound Scans”, Ultrasound Med. Biol., vol. 27, pp. 399-408, 2001.
- T. Kaneko, H. Hasegawa, and H. Kanai, “Ultrasonic Measurement of Change in Elasticity due to Endothelium Dependent Relaxation Response by Accurate Detection of Artery-Wall Boundary”, Jpn. J. Appl Phys., vol. 46, pp. 4881-4888, 2007.
- L. Ferrari, and J. P. Jones, “The propagation of Gaussian modulated pulses in dissipative and/or dispersive media such as tissue”, Ultrasound Med. Biol., vol. 11, pp. 299-305, 1985.
- N. Ibrahim, H. Hasegawa, and H. Kanai, “Automated Detection of Intima-Media Complex Boundaries in Longitudinal Section of Carotid Artery by Fitting Echo Model Composed of Multiple Ultrasonic Pulses to Measured Signal”, IEICE Tech. Report, vol. 112, pp. 16-21, 2012.