International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science ( IJITCS )
Text detection and recognition is very difficult tasks in the computer vision area and there is a lot of
research going on in recent years on the text. This paper focuses on the process of text detection and
recognition from various text images. In this paper an approach to recognize the text from the text
images is applied on various languages. The basic approach for text recognition is described which is
First, detected Maximally Stable Extremal Regions(MSER) from the input image. Then the image
containing MSER regions fed as input to the canny edge detector, which produces edges over text region
and helps us to remove the remaining part of the image by applying filtering technique. Finally text
region image is given to the Optical Character Recognition (OCR).The OCR produces the actual text
presented in the input image. The main thing that has been included in this paper is we have applied
MSER technique on two languages which shows what basically this technique results and how this
works for the text images .
: ERP, EEG-P300, ANFIS method, FeatureExtraction .
- C. M. Bishop, Neural Networks for Pattern R ecognition. New York:Oxford University Press, 1995.
- Y. Boykov, O. Veksler, and R. Zabih, “Fast approximate energy minimizationvia graph cuts,” IEEE
Trans. Pattern Anal. Mach. Intell., vol.23, no. 11, pp. 1222–1239, 2001.
- D. T. Chen, J.-M. Odobez, and H. Bourlard, “Text detection and recognitionin images and video frames,” Pattern Recogn., vol. 37, no. 5, pp.595–608, 2004.
- X. L. Chen, J. Yang, J. Zhang, and A.Waibel, “Automatic detection and recognition of signs from natural scenes,” IEEE Trans. Image Process.,vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 87–99, Jan. 2004.
- X. R. Chen and A. L. Yuille, “Detecting and reading text in natural scenes,” in Proc. IEEE Conf. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR’04), Washington, DC, 2004, pp. 366–373.
- N. Dalal and B. Triggs, “Histograms of oriented gradients for human detection,” in Proc. IEEE Conf. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR’05), San Diego, CA, 2005, pp. 886– 893.
- S. L. Feng, R. Manmatha, and A. McCallum, “Exploring the use of conditional random field models and HMMs for historical handwritten document recognition,” in Proc. 2nd Int. Conf. Document Image Analysis for Libraries (DIAL’06), Washington, DC, 2006, pp. 30–37.
- J. Gllavata, R. Ewerth, and B. Freisleben, “Text detection in images based on unsupervised classification of high-frequency wavelet coefficients,” in Proc. 17th Int. Conf. Pattern Recognition (ICPR’04), Cambridge, U.K., 2004, pp. 425–428.
- J. M. Hammersley and P. Clifford, Markov Field on Finite Graphs and Lattices, 1971, unpublished.
- X.-B. Jin, C.-L. Liu, and X. Hou, “Regularized margin-based conditional log-likelihood loss for prototype learning,” Pattern Recogn., vol. 43, no. 7, pp. 2428–2438, 2010.
- Y. Jin and S. Geman, “Context and hierarchy in a probabilistic image model,” in Proc. IEEE Conf. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR’06), New York, NY, 2006, pp. 2145–2152.
- B.-H. Juang and S. Katagiri, “Discriminative learning for minimum error classification,” IEEE Trans. Signal Process., vol. 40, pp. 3043–3054, 1992.
- K. Jung, K. I. Kim, and A. K. Jain, “Text information extraction in images and video: A survey,” Pattern Recogn., vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 977–997, 2004.
- K. I. Kim, K. Jung, and J. H. Kim, “Texture-based approach for text detection in images using support vector machines and continuously adaptive mean shift algorithm,” IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Mach. Intell.,vol. 25, no. 12, pp. 1631–1639, 2003.
- S. Kumar, J. August, and M. Hebert, “Exploiting inference for approximate parameter learning in discriminative fields: An empirical study,” in Proc. 5th Int. Workshop on Energy Minimization Methods in Computer Vision and Pattern (EMMCVPR’05), St. Augustine, FL, 2005, pp. 153–168.
- D. Karatzas, S. Robles Mestre, J. Mas, F. Nourbakhsh, ”ICDAR 2011 Robust Reading Competition: Challenge 1: Reading Text in Born-Digital Images.” in Proc. IEEE Int’l Conf. Document Analysis and Recognition, pp. 1491-1496, 2011.
- P. Shivakumara, A. Dutta, U. Pal, and C.L. Tan, ”A New Method for Handwritten Scene Text Detection in Video,” in Proc. IEEE Int’l Conf. Frontiers of Handwritten Recognition, pp. 387-392, 2010..
- J. Gllavata, R. Ewerth and B. Freisleben, ”Text Detection in Images Based on Unsupervised Classification of High-Frequency Wavelet Coefficients,” in Proc. IEEE Int’l Conf. Pattern Recognition, pp. 425-428, 2004.