International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science ( IJITCS )
The k-barrier coverage problem has been widely discussed in wireless sensor networks (WSNs). A defense barrier satisfying k-barrier coverage is constructed in order to detect any intrusion by at least k sensors in the monitoring region. It is still an open issue to efficiently construct a defense k-barrier while maximizing the network lifetime. This paper proposes a novel k-barrier coverage construction mechanism, aiming at constructing a maximal number of distinct defense barriers each of which consists of as few as possible sensors to achieve energy conservation purpose, but still guarantees 𝒌-barrier coverage. The experimental studies demonstrate the effectiveness of the proposed mechanisms in terms of construction efficiency and network lifetime .
: k-barrier coverage; energy balance; wireless sensor networks .
- C. F. Huang and Y. C. Tseng, “The Coverage Problem in a Wireless Sensor Network,” in International Conference on Wireless Sensor Networks and Applications (WSNA), 2003, pp. 115–121.
- G. Yang and D. Qiao, “Barrier Information Coverage with Wireless Sensors,” in Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM, 2009, pp. 918–926.
- G. Yang and D. Qiao, “Multi-Round Sensor Deployment for Guaranteed Barrier Coverage,” in Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM, 2010, pp. 1–9.
- Y. T. Lin, K. K. Saluja, and P. Ramanathan, “Connected Barrier Coverage on A Narrow Band : Analysis and Deployment,” in Proceedings of IEEE SECON, 2010, pp. 1–9.
- M. Eftekhari, L. Narayanan, and J. Opatmy, “On Multi-Round Sensor Deployment for Barrier Coverage,” in Proceedings of IEEE MASS, 2013, pp. 310–318.
- C. Y. Chang, L. L. Hung, Y. C. Chen, and C. T. Chang, “On-supporting energy balanced k-barrier coverage in wireless sensor networks,” in Proceedings of ACM IWCMC, 2009, pp. 274–278.
- H. Fan, M. Li, X. Sun, P. J. Wan, and Y. Zhao, “Barrier Coverage by Sensors with Adjustable Ranges,” ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks, vol. 11, no. 1, November 2014.
- B. Liu, O. Dousse, J. Wang, and A. Saipulla, “Strong Barrier Coverage of Wireless Sensor Networks,” in Proceedings of ACM MobiHoc, 2008, pp. 411–419.
- A. Chen, T. H. Lai, and D. Xuan, “Measuring and Guaranteeing Quality of Barrier Coverage for General Belts with Wireless Sensors,” ACM Transaction on Sensor Network, vol. 6, no. 1, December 2009.
- S. Kumar, T. H. Lai, and A. Arora, “Barrier Coverage with Wireless Sensors,” in Proceedings of the 11th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, 2005, pp. 284–298.
- C. Wang, B. Wang, H. Xu, and W. Liu, “Energy-efficient Barrier Coverage in WSNs with Adjustable Sensing Ranges,” in Proceedings of IEEE 75th Vehicular Technology Conference, 2012, pp. 1–5.
- Z. Wang, H. Chen, Q. Cao, H. Qi, and Z. Wang, “Fault Tolerant Barrier Coverage for Wireless Sensor Networks,” in Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM, 2014, pp. 1869–1877.
- Z. Wang, J. Liao, Q. Cao, H. Qi, and Z. Wang “Achieving k-barrier Coverage in Hybrid Directional Sensor Networks,” IEEE Transation on Mobile Computing, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 1443–1455, July 2014.
- A. Schrijver. ”Combinatorial Optimization : Polyhedra and efficiency,” Springer, ISBN 978-3-540-44389-6, 2003.