International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science ( IJITCS )
Multi-hop relay networks are expected to extend the coverage area and to reduce the deployment cost by the deployment of relay stations in mobile wireless communication systems. Suitable deployment for the relay stations is one of the most important features for the demand nodes to obtain a high data transmission rate in such systems. To make a trade-off among the network throughput, the deployment budget, and the overall coverage of the systems, efficient relay station deployment schemes and their corresponding algorithms must be designed. In this paper, a novel multi-round voting algorithm is proposed to select appropriate deployment locations for the relay stations from the candidate positions. We account for the data transmission distances of the demand nodes and adopt the voting concepts to deal with the relay station deployment problem. The main goal of this scheme is to eliminate unsuitable candidate positions of the relay stations for each voting round. The voting process is repeated until the deployment budget is satisfied. When the voting process is completed, the residual candidate positions are suitable deployment locations for the relay stations. On the basis of the different candidate positions, the proposed scheme makes an adaptive decision for selecting the deployment sites of the relay stations. A better network throughput and coverage ratio can be obtained by balancing the network load. Simulation results indicate that our proposed deployment scheme provides a favorable performance for the network throughput and coverage ratio. Additionally, an appropriate deployment budget can be utilized in multi-hop relay network systems .
: Wireless Communication and Mobile Computing . Coverage, deployment, multi-hop relay network, relay station, throughput.
- IEEE Std. 802.16-2009, IEEE Standard for Local and metropolitan area networks, Part 16: Air Interface for Broadband Wireless Access Systems, May, 2009.
- IEEE Std. 802.16j-2009, IEEE Standard for Local and metropolitan area networks, Part 16: Air Interface for Broadband Wireless Access Systems, Amendment for Multihop Relay Specification, May, 2009.
- Yang Yang, Honglin Hu, Jing Xu, and Guoqiang Mao, “Relay technologies for WiMAX and LTE-Advanced mobile systems,” IEEE Communication Magazine, pp. 100–105, October 2009.
- Lin Chen, Ying Huang, Feng Xie, Yin Gao, Li Chu, Haigang He, Yunfeng Li, Feng Liang, and Yifei Yuan, “Mobile relay in LTE-advanced systems,” IEEE Communications Magazine, pp. 144–151, November 2013.
- Sojeong Ann, Kyung Geun Lee, and Hyung Seok Kim, “A path selection method in IEEE 802.16j mobile multihop relay networks,” in Proc. IEEE Second International Conference on Sensor Technologies and Applications, pp. 808–812, 2009.
- Yu Ge, Su Wen, and Yew-Hock Ang, “Analysis of optimal relay selection in 802.16 multihop relay networks,” in Proc. IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC), 2009.
- Yu Ge, Su Wen, Yew-Hock Ang, and Ying-Chang Liang, “Optimal relay selection in 802.16j multihop relay vehicular networks,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 59, no. 5 pp. 2198–2206, Jan. 2010.
- Sheng-Shih Wang, Hua-Chiang Yin, Yi-Hsueh Tsai, and Shiann-Tsong Sheu, “An effective path selection metric for IEEE 802.16-based multi-hop relay networks,” in Proc. IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC), pp. 1051–1056, 2007.
- Kuei-Ping Shih, Sheng-Shih Wang, and Hua-Chiang Yin, “A high spectral efficiency and load-aware metric for path selection in IEEE 802.16j multi-hop relay networks,” in Proc. IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC), pp. 61–66, 2009.
- S. Cho, E.W. Jang, and J. M. Cioffi, “Handover in multihop cellular networks,” IEEE Communication Magazine, pp. 64–73, July 2009.
- Bin Lin, Pin-Han Ho, Liang-Liang Xie, and Xuemin Shen, “Relay station placement in IEEE 802.16j dualdelay MMR networks,” in Proc. IEEE International Conference on Communications ( ICC '08), pp. 3437– 3441, May 2008.
- Chih-Yung Chang, Chao-Tsun Chang, Ming-Hsien Li, and Chun-Hung Chang, “A novel relay placement mechanism for capacity enhancement in IEEE 802.16j WiMAX networks,” in Proc. IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC09), Jun. 2009.
- Li-Chun Wang, Wen-Shan Su, Jane-Hwa Huang, Anderson Chen, and Chung-Ju Chang, “Optimal relay location in multi-hop cellular systems,” in Proc. IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC), 2008.
- Dejun Yang, Xi Fang, Guoliang Xue, and Jian Tang, “Relay station placement for cooperative communications in WiMAX networks,” in Proc. IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference, (GLOBECOM 2010), Dec. 2010.
- Hsiao-Chen Lu, Wanjiun Liao, and Frank Yeong-Sung Liu, “Relay station placement strategy in IEEE 802.16j WiMAX networks,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, pp. 151–158, Jan. 2011.
- Yufeng Wang, Xiaoyu Wei, Bogdam Timus, Ravi Sankar, and Salvatore Morgera, “Feasibility study of pico cellular-relaying system in urban outdoor environment,” in Proc. IEEE Wireless and Microwave Technology Conference, (WAMICOM 2011), 2011.
- Hsiao-Chen Lu and Wanjiun Liao, “Joint base station and relay station placement for IEEE 802.16j networks,” in Proc. IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference, (GLOBECOM 2009), Dec. 2009.
- Jau-Yang Chang and Ya-Sian Lin, “A clustering deployment scheme for base stations and relay stations in multi-hop relay networks,” Computers and Electrical Engineering, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 407–420, February 2014.