International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science ( IJITCS )
This study is aimed to investigate business operational problems and factors affecting competitions among customs broker Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) in Thailand. Qualitative data were collected from 15 indepth interviews of customs broker SMEs entrepreneurs who provide logistics services involving customs clearance, freight forwarder, transportation, and warehouse. All data were analyzed by utilizing the NVivo 8 qualitative data analysis software.
Results of the study revealed three factors as barriers to increasing competitive advantages among SMEs in customs broker business, especially in transportation areas. These problematic factors had to do with competitive pricing from customers and competitors, highly continuing capital and operational costs, under-utilized resource capacities. Utilizing technological management, a prototyping model of sharing economy among customs broker SMES is proposed as a significant contribution of this study. It is hoped that the proposed prototyping model of technological adoption would lead to sharing resources, reduced costs, and full capability of resource utilization in customs broker business in Thailand .
: logistics service provider; customs broker; sharing economy .
- IMF, “World Economic Outlook Update,” Washington, D.C.: International Monetary Fund, 2016.
- A.Boonpattarakan, “Competitive Capabilities of Thai Logistics Industry: Effects on Corporate Image and Performance,” International Journal of Business and Management, vol.7, no.5, pp.19-30, 2012.
- T.Theppitak and C.Duangpatra, “Enhancing Competitive Advantage for Thai Logistics Service Providers,” University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce Journal,vol.31, no.2, pp.18-37, 2011.
- Office of the National Economic and Social Development Board, “Strategic Plan of Development of Logistics of Thailand, No. 2 (2013 to 2517),” 2013.
- ThaiPublica, “PwC open economic trend share Sharing Economy "save time, save money," heart "trust" the most important,” 2015. [Online Available]: http://thaipublica.org/2015/05/pwc-sharing-economy/
- Y.Sangtawan, “What is Shipping,” Freight Links Express (Thailand) Co.,Ltd., 2010. [Online Available] http://www.fleth.co.th/index.php/th/article/266-266
- B.Vitayakomal, “Perspectives of Customs Brokers,” The Customs Broker and Transportation Association of Thailand, 2013.
- Cho, M. J., Woo, C. R., Choi, H. R., Hong, S. G., Lee, K. B. and Park, S. J., “Business Model for the Sharing Economy between Enterprises,” Architecture, vol.6, pp.181-189, 1998.
- B.Cohen and P.Munoz, “Sharing cities and sustainable consumption and production: towards an integrated framework,” Journal of Cleaner Production, 2015.
- C.Hotrawaisaya, W.Chandraprakaikul and N.Suthikarnarunai, “Performance Improvement by Logistics Collaboration Management Model for Orchid Flower Industry in Thailand,” Engineering Management Research, vol.3, no.2, pp.52-68, 2014.
- C.Dewar, S.Keller, J.Lavoie, and L.M.Weiss, “How do I drive effective collaboration to deliver real business impact?,” McKinsey & Company, 2009.
- F.Sullivan, “Meetings Around the World: The Impact of Collaboration on Business Performance,” A Frost & Sullivan White Paper, Verizon Business and Microsoft, 2006.
- D.Allen and C.Berg, “The sharing economy,” Institute of Public Affairs, 2014.
- P.Cragg and A.Mills, “IT support for business processes in SMEs,” Business Process Management Journal, vol.17, no.5, 2011.
- P.Xu, J.P.Kuilboer & N.Ashrafi, “IT Impacts on Performance of Service Firms through Operation-Level Dynamic Capability,” Journal of Applied Business Research, vol.28, no.6, 2012.
- J.O’Halloran, “Effective Collaboration for SMEs: harnessing online collaboration tools to make SMEs more adaptable, flexible and competitive,” ComputerWeekly, 2007.
- S.Yuwawutto, T.Smitinont, N.Charoenanong, N.Yokakul and S.Chatratana, “Increase in Effectiveness of Technology Development in Thai SMEs with Group Approach,”Korea, vol.3, no.77, 2011.
- C.Dibrell, P. S.Davis & J.Craig, “Fueling innovation through information technology in SMEs,” Journal of small business management,vol.46, no.2, pp.203-218, 2008.
- M.Böckmann, “The Shared Economy: It is time to start caring about sharing; value creating factors in the shared economy,” University of Twente, Faculty of Management and Governance, 2013.