International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science ( IJITCS )
Many customers now prefer to purchase goods online and expect their ordered products to be delivered at their door steps as soon as possible. A number of studies through a literature review suggested that future generation warehouses may be designed and implemented as more centralised distribution centres as this is the most cost-effective way to run businesses of this kind for larger manufacturers, suppliers or retailers. Thus, these companies have been seeking for even more efficient and effective methods for storing, picking and dispatching goods using automation. This paper presents an investigation into an RFID-based inventory management system through integration with an RFID-embedded automated storage and retrieval mechanism to maximise utilisation of warehouse capacity and increase efficiency of warehouse material-handling operations .
: warehouse; inventory; RFID; automation; integration .
- Q. Wang, R. Mclntosh, and M. Brain, “A new-generation automated warehousing capability,” International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, vol. 6, pp. 565-537, 2010.
- M. K.Lim, W. Bahr, and S. C.H.Leung. “RFID in the warehouse: A literature analysis (1995-2010) of its applications, benefits, challenges and future trends,” International Journal of Production Economics, vol. 145, pp. 409-430, 2013.
- H. Wang, S. Chen, and Y. Xie, “An RFID-based digital warehouse management system in the tobacco industry: a case study,” International Journal of Production Research , vol.48, No.9, pp. 2513-2548, 2010.
- H. K.H. Chow, K.L. Choy, W.B. Lee, and K.C. Lau, “Design of a RFID case –based resource management system for warehouse operations, ” Journal of Business Logistics, vol. 30, pp. 561-576, 2006.
- G. Liu, W., Yu, and Y. Liu, “Resource Management with RFID Technology in Automatic Warehouse System, ” IEEE/RSJ International Conference On Intilegent Robots And Systems, Beijing, pp. 3706-3711, 2006.
- T.C. Poon, K.L. Choy, H.K.H. Chow, H.C.W. Lau, F.T.S. Chan, and K.C. Ho, “A RFID case-based logistics resource management system for managing order-picking operations in warehouses,” Expert Systems with Applications, vol. 36, pp. 8277-8301, 2009.
- J.SL. Ting, and A.H.C. Tsang, “Design of an RFID-based Inventory Control and Management System: A Case Study,” The West Indian Journal of Engineering, vol.34, pp. 70-79, 2012.
- A.D. Ross, D. Twede, R.H. Clarke, and R.H. Ryan, “A framework for developing implementation strategies for a radio frequency identification (RFID) system in a distribution centre environment,” Journal of Business Logistics, vol. 30, pp. 157-183, 2009.
- E. Sahin, Y. Dallery, “A literature review on the impact of inventory data record inaccuracies on inventory management and the potential of the RFID technology to tackle this issue,” Ecole Centrale Paris, 2007.
- O.E. Cakici, H. Groenevelt, and A. Seidmann, “Using RFID for the management of pharmaceutical inventory – system optimization and shrinkage control,” Decision Support Systems, vol. 51 pp. 842–852, 2011.
- Z. Xu , X.G. Ming , J. Zhou , W. Song , L. He and Miao Li, “Management optimisation based on dynamic SKU for RFID-enabled warehouse management in the steel supply chain,” International Journal ofProduction Research, vol. 51, pp. 2981-2996, 2013.
- Y. Liu, and , D. Wang , “An RFID middleware business process integration framework based on EPC modeling and complex event processing,” International Conference on Computer Sciences and Convergence Information Technology, Seoul, pp. 64-69, 2009.
- Z. Xiaoguang, and L. Wei, “The research of network architecture in warehouse management system based on RFID and WSN integration,” international conference on automation and logistics, Qingdao, pp. 2556-2560, 2008.
- W.K. Jehng, S. Peng, and W.H. Huang, “Using LabVIEW to Integrate RFID System and Database for Supply Chain Efficiency Improvement, ” International Journal of Intelligent Control and Systems, vol. 13, pp. 189-195, 2008.
- J. Yoo, and Y. Park, “An intlegent middelware platform an framework for RFID reveres Logistics,” International Journal of Future Generation Communication and Network, pp. 75-82, 2008.
- C.M. Liu, and L.S. Chen, “Applications of RFID Technology for improving production efficiency in an integrated-circuit packaging house,” International Journal of Production Research. vol. 47, pp. 2203-2216, 2009.
- G. Liu , L. Mao, L. Chen and S. Xie, “Locatable-Body Temperature Monitoring Based on Semi-Active UHF RFID Tags,” Sensors, vol. 14, pp. 5952-5966, 2014.