International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science ( IJITCS )
Arabic has a very rich and complex morphology. Its appropriate Morphological processing is very important for Information Retrieval, Text Processing, Machine Translation and Spell Checking processes. The efforts to improve Arabic information search and retrieval compared to other languages are limited and modest, even though the Arabic language is the official language for over 29 countries, in addition to which there are native Arabic speakers scattered all over the world. The barrier to text processing advancements in Arabic is its complicated morphological structure.
In this paper, we propose a new stemming technique and produce software implementation ”‘AMA”’ for the proposed technique that tries to determine the root and/or the stem of a word representing the semantic core of this word according to Arabic language morphology analysis and Arabic language syntax.
Arabic morphology, Computational linguistics, Stemming, Information retrieval
- William B. Frakes and Christopher J. Fox Strength and similarity of affix removal stemming algorithms, SIGIR Forum, volume 37, number 1, year 2003, pages 26-30
- Ricardo A. Baeza-yates Text Retrieval: Theory and Practice In 12th IFIP World Computer Congress, volume I, pages 465–476, 1992.
- Al-Shammari, Eiman and Lin, Jessica A novel Arabic lemmatization algorithm In Proceedings of the second workshop on Analytics for noisy unstructured text data , pages 113–118, 2008.
- Sembok, Tengku Mohd T. and Ata, Belal Mustafa Abu and Bakar, Zainab Abu A rule-based Arabic stemming algorithm In Proceedings of the 5th European conference on European computing conference, pages 392–397, 2011.
- Eiman Tamah Al-Shammari and Jessica Lin Towards an error-free Arabic stemming In CIKM-iNEWS, pages 9–16, 2008.
- Leah S. Larkey and Lisa Ballesteros and Margaret E. Connell Improving stemming for Arabic information retrieval: light stemming and co-occurrence analysis In SIGIR, pages 275-282, 2002.
- Y. Kadri, J.Y. Nie Effective stemming for Arabic information retrieval In SIGIR, pages 68–74, 2006.
- Nizar Habash Introduction to Arabic Natural Language Processing In Synthesis Lectures on Human Language Technologies, book, 2010.
- 1987. ¨ _Atfm. ,dm_. ¨l. .yq__ ,¨.A_r_. r¡Aq. db. . 1 ª ,T.AFr. TsF¥. ,.rO.
- http://www.alecso.org.tn, 2007, T.l. ¨ §rOt. ¤ .AqtJ¯ A\. ,wb. ¤r. ..¤± C d}³ ,Ty_r`.
- Khoja, S. Stemming Arabic Text Department, Lancaster University.
- Mohammed Aljlayl and Ophir Frieder On arabic search: improving the retrieval effectiveness via a light stemming approach In Proceedings of the 2002 ACM CIKM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management, McLean, VA, USA, pages 340-347, 2002.
- Darwish, Kareem and Oard, Douglas and Darwish, Kareem and Oard, Douglas W. Adapting Morphology for Arabic Information Retrieval<sup>*</sup> Arabic Computational Morphology In Arabic Computational Morphology, volume 38, 2007