International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science ( IJITCS )
The emergence of large image databases in organizations and on the Internet has prompted the need for effective and efficient retrieval systems. One part that contributes immensely to this is the (dis)similarity and retrieval algorithms used in the retrieval systems. This paper gives a brief review of (dis)similarity and retrieval algorithms. The (dis)similarity algorithms are classified into metric and non-metric categories. The use of (dis)similarity algorithms in modelling of the image databases is also highlighted. The relevant feedback is included as a necessary component for image retrieval systems. The contribution of this paper is that it highlights aspects of image retrieval systems that make it possible for effective and efficient access to large image database.
: component: (dis)similarity algorithms; retrieval systems; image database
- T. Skopal and B. Bustos, "On Nonmetric Similarity Search Problems in Complex Domains," ACM Journal Name, vol. V, pp. 1-56, January 2010.
- Z. Stejic, et al., "Genetic algorithm-based relevance feedback for image retrieval using local similarity patterns," Information Processing and Management, vol. 39, pp. 1-23, 2003.
- E. G. M. Petrakis and C. Faloutsos, "Similarity Searching in Medical Image Databases," IEEE Transaction on Knowledge and Data Engineering, vol. 9, pp. 435-447, June 1997.
- S. Antani, et al., "Evaluation of shape similarity measurement methods for spine X-ray images," J. Vis. Commun. Image R. (Elsevier), vol. 15, pp. 285-302, 2004.
- X. Zheng, et al., "Perceptual shape-based natural image representation and retrieval," in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Semantic Computing, 2007, pp. 622-629.
- D. C. Tran and K. Ono, "Content-based image retrieval: Object representation by the Density of feature Points," pp. 213-218, 2000.
- D. Zhang and G. Lu, "Generic Fourier Descriptor for Shape-based Image Retrieval," in IEEE Transactions on multimedia, 2002, pp. 425-428.
- K. L. Clarkson, "Nearest-Neighbor Searching and Metric Space Dimensions," in Nearest-Neighbor Methods for Learning and Vision: Theory and Practice, ed: MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 2005.
- S.-H. Cha, "Comprehensive Survey on Distance/Similarity Measures between Probability Density Functions," International Journal of Mathematical Models and Methods in Applied Sciences, vol. 1, pp. 300-307, 2007.
- B. Bustos, et al., "Adapting metric indexes for searching in multi-metric spaces," in Multimedia Tools and Applications (MTAP), ed: Springer, 2011.
- T. Skopal, "Where are you heading, metric access methods? A provocative survey," in SISAP' 10 Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Similarity Search and Applications, New York, NY, USA, 2010, pp. 13-21.
- M. X. Ribeiro, et al., "Statistical Association Rules and Relevence Feedback: Powerful Allies to improve the retrieval of Medical Images,” In Proceedings of the 19th IEEE Symposium on Computer-Based Medical Systems, 2006