International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science ( IJITCS )
Power consumption at base stations in cellular networks has become an important issue as the increasing emissions at the base station sites have an adverse effect on the environment. In this regard dynamic deployment of cell sizes is believed to reduce the power consumption at some base stations for a given area depending on the traffic load conditions. A growing concept of cell zooming has been used in this paper wherein a cell adaptively adjusts its size depending on the subscriber load . This paper presents a fuzzy based cell zooming solution to reduce base station power consumption. Base station antenna height and its transmitted power are the antecedents of our proposed fuzzy system.
: power consumption; BTS; cell zooming; fuzzy system
- Quittek, J., Christensen, K. and Nordman B,” Energy-efficient networks [Guest Editorial],”Network IEEE, Vol. 25,No. 2,pp 4-5,March 2011
- Ericsson Press, June 2008,
- Kyuho S., Hongseok K., Yung Y. and Bhaskar K., “Base station operation and user association mechanisms for energy-delay trade offs in green cellular networks,” IEEE Journal on selected areas in communications, Vol. 29, No. 8,Sept 2011
- Hasan, Z., Hamidreza B. and Vijay K., ” Green Cellular Networks: A Survey, Some Research Issues and Challenges,”Communications surveys and tutorials,IEEE ,Vol. 13 ,pp 524-540,Nov 2011
- Md. Farhad Hossain, Kumudu S. Munasinghe and Abbas Jamalipour,” A Protocooperation-based Sleep-Wake Architecture for Next Generation Green Cellular Access Networks,”IEEE ICSPCS International Conference,pp. 1-8, Dec 2010
- J. T. Louhi, “Energy efficiency of modern cellular base stations,” Proceedings of IEEE International Telecommunications Energy Conference (INTELEC), Italy, pp. 475 – 476, September 2007.
- S Bhaumik ,G Narlikar,S Chattopadhyay,S Kanugovi,”Breathe to Stay Cool:Adjusting Cell Sizes to Reduce Energy Consumption”, Sigcomm Conference,2010
- Zhisheng N., Yiqun W., Jie G., Zexi Y., “ Cell Zooming for Cost-Efficient Green Cellular Networks”,Communications Magazine IEEE,Vol . 48 ,pp 74-79,Nov 2010
- Jie Xu , Ling Qiu ,“Area Power Consumption in a Single Cell Assistedby Relays.”IEEE GreenCom,pp. 460-465, Dec 2010
- Priyangshu Ghosh, Suvra Sekhar Das, Swetha Naravaram, Prabhu Chandhar, “Energy Saving in OFDMA Cellular Systems Using Base-Station Sleep Mode: 3GPP-LTE a Case Study,” National Conference on Communications, Feb 2012, in press
- Ziaul Haq Abbas and Frank Y. Li,” A system-level power saving approach for cellular networks with microcells/picocells,” IEEE Wireless VITAE, pp 1-5,Feb-March 2011.
- Fred Richter, Albrecht J. Fehske, and Gerhard P. Fettweis,” Energy Efficiency Aspects of Base Station Deployment Strategies for Cellular Networks,” IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference,pp. 1-5,Sept 2009
- Fred Richter, Gerhard Fettweis, Markus Gruber, Oliver Blume,” Micro Base Stations in Load Constrained Cellular Mobile Radio Networks,” IEEE PMIRC International Workshop ,pp. 357-362,Sept 2010
- Lin Xiang, Francesco Pantisano, Roberto Verdone, Xiaohu Ge, Min Chen,“ Adaptive Traffic Load-Balancing for Green Cellular Networks,” IEEE PIMRC , pp. 41-45, Sept 2011