International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science ( IJITCS )
Electronic Book or e-Book has been recently accepted as tool in education system. What once started as an adaptation of technology in education has slowly becoming an essential part of education itself. Today, e-Book is widely used in many countries not only to facilitate, but also to complement traditional classroom teaching.In Malaysia, the state of Terengganu is leading this initiative through its e-Book program. This program is a part of the government's efforts to improve the education system and expose student to Information and Communication Technology. Although huge amount of investments have been made in the implementation of this program, academic research efforts are limited, if any, raising the question of how well this program is progressing. This paper proposes three research directions for e-Book namely Academic Performance, Social Interaction and Technological Know-How to spark interest in the subject matter. The term ‘e-Book’ was also refined taking into consideration definitions found in literature and the context of e-Book in the Malaysian education system.The directions of research are broad enough and can be pursued by other countries as well.It is hoped that this papers will promote more academic research in this area
: e-Book, Technology in Education, Education System, Learning Process, Malaysia
- E. Y. Susan, and S. Zsuzsanna, "Using an E-Book to Teach Technology: Effects On Student Performance", in Proceedings of the 49th SIGMIS annual conference on Computer personnel research, 2011.
- A. A. Mutalib, A. Alwi, and S. N. A. Salam, "The Acceptance Of E-Book Readers Among Malaysian Children", Faculty of Information Technology Universiti Utara Malaysia, Sintok, Malaysia, 2009.
- S. Kachala, "Report On The Effectiveness Of Technology In Schools," Software Publishers Association, 1998.
- Azman Othman, “Deruan Digital Darul Iman”, Terbitan Bahagian Teknologi Pendidikan Negeri Terengganu, 2011
- R. G. M. Herzig, "TechnologyAnd Its Impact In The Classroom”,Journal Computers & Education, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 111 - 131, 2004.
- S. Kachala, and E. Bialo, "The Report On Effectiveness Of Technology In Schools," Software Publishers Association, 1992.
- S. Grimshaw, "Electronic Books: Children's Reading And Comprehension", British Journal of Educational Technology, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 583-599, 2007.
- A. K. Moody, "Using Electronic Books in the Classroom to Enhance Emergent Literacy Skills in Young Children", Journal of Literacy and Technology, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 22-52, 2010.
- Oxford Dictionary of English, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 11th edition, 2008.
- A. A. Terry, "Demystifying The E-Book - What Is It, Where Will It Lead Us, and Who's In The Game?", Against the Grain, vol.11, no.5 pp.18, 1999.
- Webopedia, "Electronic Book", Available at: http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/E/electronic_book.html
- D. T. Hawkins, "Electronic Books: A Major Publishing Revolution", 2000.
- C, Walt, "Nine Models, One Name: Untangling The E-Book Muddle", American libraries, 2000.
- S. K. Jeffrey, "A Collective Case Study Of Mobile E-BookLearning Experiences", University of North Florida, 2011.
- C. Lynch, "The Battle To Define The Future Of The Book In The Digital World", FirstMonday, vol. 6, no. 6, 2001.
- S. S. Rao, "Electronic Books: A Review And Evaluation", Library Hi Tech, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 85-93, 2003.
- T. Cavanaugh, "The Digital Reader: Using Ebooks In K-12 Education", Eugene, OR: International Society for Technology in Education (ITSE), 2005.
- R. Wilson and M. Landoni, "Evaluating The Usability Of Portable Electronic Books," in Proceedings of the 2003 ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, 2003.
- A. Azza, andL. J. Zhongyu, "Model of E-Reading Process for E-School Book in Libya",International Journal of Information Retrieval Research,vol. 1, no. 3, 2011.
- Wan Roslina, Syahrul Fahmy, Nurul Haslinda, Azliza Yaacob, Nur Sukinah, Noor Suhana and Ziti Fariha, "ICT In Education: Research Direction For The E-Book Program In Terengganu", TATIUC Research and Innovation Exhibition, 2012.
- Syahrul Fahmy, Nurul Haslinda, Wan Roslina and Ziti Fariha, "Evaluating the Quality of Software in e-Book Using the ISO 9126 Model", International Journal of Control and Automation, vol. 5, no. 2, (2012), pp. 115 – 122.