International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science ( IJITCS )
Computer Assisted Pronunciation Teaching (CAPT), as a part of Computer Assisted Language Learning (CALL) systems, is one among systems that use Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR) technology to teach correct pronunciation. We present in this paper our experiments to help Algerian (Arabic) young learner having problems with pronunciation of Arabic language to improve their pronunciation skills. The system is based on mispronunciation detection methods where different scores of pronunciation are calculated to decide how the word was badly pronounced in term of quantitative measure. The results obtained have showed that the GLL (Global average Log Likelihood) score detects mispronunciation with 86,66%.
: CALL; CAPT; ASR; pronunciation scoring, mispronunciation detection.
- G. Kaway and K. Hirose, “Teaching the pronunciation of Japense Double-mora phonemes using speech recognition technologie”, 2000, pp.83-93.
- S.M. Witt and S.J. Young, “Phone-level pronunciation scoring and assessment for interactive language learning”, speech communication, 2000, pp.95-108.
- L. Neumeyer, H. Franco, V. Digalakis and M. Weintraub, “Automatic scoring of pronunciation quality”, Speech Communication, 2000, pp.83-93.
- H. Franco, L. Neumeyer, V. Digalakis and O. Ronen, “Combinition of machine scores for automatic grading of pronunciation quality”, Speech Communication, 2000, pp. 121-130.
- L. Neumeyer , H. Franco , M. Weintraub and P. Price, “Automatic text-independent pronunciation scoring of foreign language student speech”, International Conference on Spoken Language Processing ICSLP, 1996, pp. 1457-1460.
- H. Franco, V. Abrash, K. Precoda, H. Bratt, R. Rao, J. Butzberger, R. Rossier and F. Cesari, “The SRI EduSpeakTM system: Recognition and Pronunciation scoring for language learning”, Integrating Speech Technology in Language Learning InSTIL, 2000, pp. 1-6.
- B. Mak, M Siu, M. Ng, Y.C. Tam, Y.C. Chan, K.W. Chan, K.Y. Leung, S. Ho, F.H. Chong, J. Wong and J. Lo, “PLASER: Pronunciation learning via automatic speech recognition”, The Hong Kong Quality Education, 2003.
- A. Patil, C. Gupta and P. Rao, “Evaluating vowels pronunciation quality: formant space matching versus ASR confidence scoring”, National Conference on Communications (NCC), 2010, pp. 1-5.
- J. Kormos and M. Dénes, “Exploring measures and perceptions of fluency in the speech of second language learner”, Eötvös Loránd University Budapest.
- H. Strik, K. Truong, F.D. Wet, and C. Cucchiarini, “Comparing different approaches for automatic pronunciation error detection”, Speech Communication, 2009, pp. 845-852.
- S. Kanters, C. Cucchairini and H. Strik, “The goodness of pronunciation algorithm: a detailed performance study”, in the proceeding of the international Speech Communication Association (ISCA) Special Interest Group (SIG) On Speech and Language Teechnology in Education SLaTE, 2009, pp. 1-4.