International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science ( IJITCS )
Non-functional requirement (NFR), such as performance, reliability, security and usability, have highly impact on the quality of software products. However, most of the current requirement elicitation processes are mainly focused on functional requirements (FR), while the NFR have received less attention. This paper provides literature on NFR elicitation in order to find out the reasons and problems of improper treatment in NFR. Essential issues on NFR elicitation include the approaches, elicitation techniques, methods and tools were addressed. Finally, some suggestions for improvement on NFR elicitation to be undertaken are also discussed.
: Non-functional requirement (NFR), Functional requirement (FR), Requirement Engineering, Requirement Elicitation
- L. M. Cysneiros, and J. C. S. d. Prado Leite, “Non functional requirements: from elicitation to conceptual models,” Software Engineering, IEEE Transactions on 30(5), pp.328-350, 2004.
- IEEE (1990), Standard Glossary of Software Engineering Terminology, IEEE Standard 610.12-1990.
- A. M. R. e. Laleau, "A Survey of Non-Functional Requirements in Software Development Process," October 2008. TR-LACL-2008-7.
- L. Chung, B. A. Nixon, E. Yu, and J. Mylopoulos, "Non functional requirement in Software Engineering", Kluwer Academic Publishing, 2000.
- R. Capilla, M. A. Babar, and O. Pastor, "Quality requirements engineering for systems and software architecting: methods, approaches, and tools," Requirement Engineering, London: Springer, 2011, pp.1-4.
- A. Finkelstein, and J. Dowell, "A comedy of errors: the London ambulance service case study," Software Specification and Design, Proceedings of the 8th International Workshop, pp.2-4, 22-23 Mar 1996.
- B. Paech and D. Kerkow, "Non-functional requirement engineering- quality is Essential," 10th Anniversary International Workshop on Requirements Engineering: Foundation for Software Quality, 2004
- G. Urrego, "Reasoning non-functional goals and features in web systems," Université Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne, Centre de Recherche en Informatique, Paris France, 2005.
- T. Wang et al., "A QoS ontology cooperated with feature models for non-functional requirements elicitation," In Proceedings of the Second Asia-Pacific Symposium on Internetware, ACM, New York, USA, 2010.
- J. Doerr, D. Kerkow, T. Koenig, T. Olsson, and T. Suzuki, “Non-functional requirements in industry -three case studies adopting an experience-based NFR method”, IEEE , pp. 373–382, 2005.
- R. Bittencourt, R. Araujo, and C. Cappelli, "Experiences on the use of business models for identifying quality requirements for information systems," 2010 Seventh International Conference on the Quality of Information and Communication Technology, IEEE, 2010.
- J. C. Huang, R. Settimi, X. Zou, and P. Solc, "The detection and classification of non-functional requirements with application to early aspects," Center for Requirements Engineering, School of Computer Science, Telecommunications and Information Systems, DePaul Üniversity, In 14th IEEE International Requirements Engineering Conference (RE´06), 2006.
- X. Song, Z. Duan, and C. Tian, " Non-functional requirement elicitation and incorporation into class diagrams," IFIP International Federation for Information Processing, pp. 72-81, 2010.
- Ch. Pavlovski, and J. Zou, "NFR in business process modelling", IBM Corporation, Australian Computer Society, 5th Asia-Pacific Conference on Conceptual Modelling (APCCM), 2008.
- E. C.S. Cardoso, J. P. A. Almedia, G.Guizzardi, and R. S. S. Guizzardi, "Eliciting goals for business process models with non-functional requirements catalogues," in Enterprise, Business-Process and Information System Modelling, vol. 29, pp. 33-45, 2009.
- ISO/IEC 9126-1, Software Engineering–ProductQuality – Part 1: Quality Model. International Organization for Standardization, 2001.
- G.S Anandha Mala and G.V. Uma, "Elicitation of non functional requirement preference for actors of Usecase from domain model," PKAW 2006, LNAI 4303, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, pp. 238-243, 2006.
- H. Kaiya, A. Osada, and K. Kaijiri, "Identifying stakeholders and their preferences about NFR by comparing use case diagrams of several existing systems," IEICE - Trans. Inf. Syst. E91-D, pp. 897-906, April 2008.
- T. H. Al Balushi, P. R. F. Sampaio, D. Dabhi, and P. Loucopoulos, "ElicitO: a quality ontology-guided NFR elicitation tool," in Proceedings of the 13th international working conference on Requirements engineering: foundation for software quality (REFSQ'07), Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, pp. 306-319, 2007.
- V. R. Basili, and D. M. Weiss,"A methodology for collecting valid software engineering data," IEEE Transactions Software Engineering, SE-10(6): pp. 728–738, Nov. 1984.
- A. F. Jaramillo, "Non-functional requirements elicitation from business process models", IEEE Doctoral Paper 2011.
- E. Yu, "Towards modelling and reasoning support for early-phase requirements engineering," Proc. of the 3rd IEEE International Symposium on Requirements Engineering (RE' 97), pp. 226-235, 1997.
- H. In, and B. W. Boehm, “Using win-win quality requirements management tools: a case study”, Annals Software Eng. 11(1): pp. 141-174, 2001.
- J. Vanhanen, M.V.Mantyla, and J. Ithonen, " Lightweight elicitation and analysis of software product quality goals a multiple industrial case study," Third International Workshop on Software Product Management (IWSPM), pp. 42-52, September 2009.
- L.M. Cysneiros and E. Yu, “Non-Functional Requirements Elicitation,” Perspective in Software Requirements, Kluwer Academics, 2003.
- L. C. Sam Supakkul, "Integrating FRs and NFRs: a use case and goal driven approach," Proc. SERA 04, pp. 30-37, 2004.
- Martin Glinz, "On Non Functional Requirement," 15th IEEE International Requirements Engineering Conference, 2007.
- I. Jacobson, G. Booch, and J. Rumbaugh, The unified software development process. Reading, Mass.: Addison Wesley, 1999.
- G. Kotonya, and I. Sommerville, Requirements Engineering: Processes and Techniques. John Wiley & Sons, 1998.
- J. Mylopoulos, L. Chung, and B. Nixon, "Representing and using non functional requirements: a process-oriented approach," IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, pp. 483-497, June 1992.
- D. Mairiza, D. Zowghi, and N. Nurmuliani, “An investigation into the notion ofnon-functional requirements”, Proceeding of the 25th ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (ACM SAC 2010), Sierre, Switzerland, pp. 311-317, 2010.
- G.-C. Roman, "A taxonomy of current issues in requirements engineering," IEEE Computer, pp. 14–23, April 1985.
- I. J. Jureta, S. Faulkner, and P. -Y. Schobbens, "A more expressive softgoal conceptualization for quality requirements analysis," In: Embley, D.W., Olivé, A., Ram, S. (eds.) ER 2006. LNCS, vol. 4215, Springer, Heidelberg, pp. 281–295, 2006.
- L. Chung, and J. C. S. d. P. Leite, " On non-functional requirements in Software Engineering", Lecture Notes In Computer Science, Vol. 5600. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, pp. 363-379, 2009.
- M.Kassab, O.Ormandjieva and M. Daneva, "An Ontology Based approach to Non-Functional Requirements Conceptualization", Fourth International Conference on Software Engineering Advances, pp 299-308, 2009.
- IEEE (1990). Standard Glossary of Software Engineering Terminology. IEEE Standard 610.12-1990.
- A. M. Sen and K. Hemachandran, "Goal oriented requirement engineering: a literature survey," Assam University Journal of Science & Technology: Physical Sciences and Technology, vol. 6, no. 2, pp.16-25, 2010.
- B. Berenbach, D. J. Paulish, J. Kazmeier and A. Rudorfer, Software & System Requirements Engineering in Practices. Mc Graw Hill, 2009.
- R. B. Svensson, T. Gorschek, B. Regnell, R. Torkar, A. Shahrokni, R. Feldt and A. Aurum, "Prioritization of quality requirement: state of practice in eleven companies," IEEE 19th Requirements Engineering Conference, pp. 69-78, 2011.
- D. Ameller and X. Franch, "How do software architects consider non-functional requiremnets: a survey," REFSQ 2010, LNCS 6182, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, pp. 276-277, 2010.
- B. H. C. Cheng and J. M. Atlee, "Research Directions in Requirement Engineering,"International Conference on Software Engineering 2007 Future of Software Engineering (FOSE '07), 2007.