International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science ( IJITCS )
The objective of this article is to evaluate via a Design Science Research Methodology (DSRM) the implementation of a collaborative learning framework for IIUM`s postgraduate students .Facebook was used as a learning artifact to build and foster a learning environment, and a series of features and activities using this artifact were conducted to utilize the social interactions amongst the students to foster collaborative learning. Various pedagogic strategies were used to integrate activities occurring both inside and outside of the classroom setting to achieve social learning. All features utilized were evaluated based on activities and interactions amongst all users. The research findings show great potential for the implemented features, as well as the activities conducted to take advantage of these Features, and suggest possible innovative features for use in similar future studies based on feedback from this study’s sample group.
: Design Science, Innovative Teaching,and Social Networking Technology.
- Goldberg, M. W. (1996). Calos: An Experiment with Computer-aided Learning for Operation Systems. In proceedings of the ACMs 27th SIGCSE Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education.
- Sidek Baba (2000). Integrated knowledge in the Tawhidic curriculum.Muslim Education Quarterly 17(2):15-29.
- Ahmad, T.S. (2011). Discussion method versus students’ competence in collaborative learning: The role of Halaqah-study circle- in developing learners’ personality traits and critical thinking skills. Lambert academic publishing: Germany:1-141.
- Abdi, O. SHuriye. (2011b). The Role of Credited Co-Curricular Programmes on the Internationalization and Infusing Values into Student’s Personality: The IIUM Model. Journal of Emerging Trends in Educational Research and Policy Studies (JETERAPS) 2 (2): 100-107.
- Hashim R. and Hussein S.(2003).The teaching of thinking in Malaysia .Malaysia :IIUM Research Center.
- Co-Curricular Activity Centre’s manual, 2005-2006
- Khan, B. H. (2005). Managing e-learning: Design, delivery, implementation and evaluation. Hershey, PA: Information Science Publishing
- Arjan, H., & Harshrne, R. (2008). Investigating faculty decisions to adoptWeb 2.0technology: Theory and empirical tests. Internet and Higher Education, 11, 71–80.
- Mason, R., & Rennie, F. E-l.e. (2008). E-learning and Social Networking Handbook.New YRoutledge.
- Bruner, J. S. (1996). The culture of education. Cambridge: Harvard University Press
- Vygotsky, L. S. (1978). Interaction between learning and development.From Mind in society Cambridge MA: Harvard University Press.
- Kasemvilas, S., & Olfman, L. (2009). Design alternatives for a MediaWiki to support collaborative writing. Journal of Information, Information Technology, and Organizations, 4, 87–106.
- Bryant, L. (2007), Emerging trends in social software for education. Emerging Technologies for Learning, 2, 9–22.
- Carabajal, K., Lapointe, D., & Gunawardena, C. N. (2003). Group development in online Learning communities. In M. G. Moore & W. G. Anderson (Eds.), Handbook of distance education (pp. 217-234). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Tu, C. (2002). The measurement of social presence in an online learning environment. International Journal on E-Learning 1(2), 34-45.
- Wang, F., & Hannafin, M. J. (2005). Design-based research and technology-enhanced learning environments. Educational Technology Research and Development, 53(4), 5-23. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/BF02504682 methodology for information systems research. Journal ofManagement Information Systems, 24(3), 45–77.
- Kuechler, W., & Vaishnavi, V. (2011) Promoting Relevance in IS Research: An Informing System for Design Science Research Journal of an Emerging Transdiscipline, Vol.14
- Peffers, K., Tuunanen, T., Rothenberger, M., & Chatterjee, S. (2008). A design science research methodology for information systems research. Journal of Management Information Systems, 24(3), 45–77.
- Baskerville, R., & Myers, M. D (2004). Special issue on action research in information systems: Making IS research relevant to practice-foreword. MIS Quarterly, 28(3), 329–335.
- Cole, C., Leide, J. E., Large, A., Beheshti, J., & Brooks, M. (2005). Putting it together online: Information need identification for the domain novice user. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 56(7), 684–694.
- Hevner, A. R., & Chatterjee, S. (2010). Design Research in Information Systems. Integrated Series in Information Systems, Vol. 22. New York, NY: Springer.
- Iversen, J.,Mathiassen, L.,&Nielsen, P. (2004).Managing process risk in software process improvement: An action research approach. MIS Quarterly, 28(3), 395–434.
- Lindgren, R., Henfridsson, O., Schultze, U. (2004). Design principles for competence management systems: A synthesis of an action research study. MIS Quarterly, 28(3), 435–472.
- Conference Book, (1977). First world Conference on Muslim Education. Kingdom of Saudi Arabia: King Abdulaziz University.