International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science ( IJITCS )
Cloud computing is a highly- scalable channel that enables the customers to receive IT related services over the internet at a reasonable price. Despite the security concern particularly on information leakage, the convenience and cost effectiveness of this technology with the growing demands for information to be highly integrated and the needs for operational cost reduction makes the adoption of this technology inevitable. As such, risk posed by information leakage will become significant. The solution for information leakage needs to be address proactively by prediction before the incidents. This paper will report the research gaps and work in progress on the evaluations of the Insider threat prediction model to safeguard information security in the context of cloud computing environment.
: Insider Threat Prediction; Information leakage; Cloud Computing
- T. Mather, S. Kumarasawmy, S. Latif, Cloud Security & Privacy. O’Reilly,CA: 2009
- M. Olson, K Mani Chandy, “Performance Issues in Cloud Computing for Cyber- physical Applications”, IEEE 4th International Conference on Cloud Computing, IEEE Computer Society. 2011
- A. Squicciarini, Smitha Sundareswaran, Dan Lin, “Preventing Information Leakage from Indexing in the Cloud” IEEE 3rd International Conference on Cloud Computing, IEEE Computer Society, 2010 pp. 361-381
- Zhang, Qi, Lu Cheng, Raouf Boutaba, “Cloud computing: state-of-the-art and research challenges”, Journal of Internet Service Application (2010), Issue 1 pp 7-18.
- Chee, Wong O., “Information Leakage, Detection and Prevention”, ISSA Journal The Global Voice of Information Security, 2007
- C. Colwill, Human Factors in Information security: The Insider Threat- Who can you trust these days? Information Security Technical Report, 2010.
- C. Langin, and Shahram Rahimi, “Soft Computing in intusion detection: The state of the Art”, Journal of Ambient Intelligent Human Computing .Springer.Issue 1. 2010. pp 133-145.
- Wu. Shelly Xiaonan, and Wolfgang Banzhaf, “The use of Computational Intelligence in intrusion detection systems: A review, Journal of Applied Soft Computing vol. 10 (2010) pp 1-35.
- Spitzner, L. “Honeypots: Catching the Insider Threat.” In 19th Annual Computer Security Application Cenference, Las vegas, Nevada, 2003.
- Ristenpart, Thomas, Eran Tromer, Hovav Shacham, and Stefan Savage. “Hey, You, Get Off of My Cloud! Exploring Information Leakage in Third-Party Compute Clouds”, In Proceedings of CCS 2009, pp 199–212. ACM Press, Nov. 2009.
- Greitzer , Frank L., Ryan E. Hohimer, “Modeling Human Behavior to Anticipate Insider Attacks” Journal of Strategic Security , Volume IV Issue 2. 2011, pp. 25-48
- Althebyan, Q.; Panda, B.; , "A Knowledge-Base Model for Insider Threat Prediction," Information Assurance and Security Workshop, 2007. IAW '07. IEEE SMC , vol., no., pp.239-246, 20-22 June 2007
- Kandias , Miltiadis, Alexios Mylonas, Nikos Virvilis, Marianthi Theoharidou, and Dimitris Gritzalis, “An Insider Threat Prediction Model”, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2010, Volume 6264, Trust, Privacy and Security in Digital Business, pp. 26-37
- Kim, Jinhyung and Hyung-jong Kim , “The Data Modeling Considered Correlation of Information Leakage Detection and Privacy Violation” in Proceeding of Intelligent Information and Database Systems: Third International Conference, ACIIDS 2011, Daegu, Korea, April 20-22, 2011, Springer.
- Foudalis, Ilias, Kamal Jain, Christos Papadimitriou, and Martha Sideri ,“Modeling Social Networks through User Background and Behavior”, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2011, Volume 6732, Algorithms and Models for the Web Graph, pp 85-102
- Irani, D.; Webb, S.; Pu, C.; Kang Li; , "Modeling Unintended Personal-Information Leakage from Multiple Online Social Networks," Internet Computing, IEEE , vol.15, no.3, pp.13-19, May-June 2011
- Magklaras, George and Steven Furnell, “Insider Threat Specification as a Threat Mitigation Technique”, Advances in Information Security, 1, Volume 49, (2010) , Insider Threats in Cyber Security, pp 219-244.
- Nellikar, Suraj,” Insider Threat Simulation And Performance Analysis Of Insider Detection Algorithms With Role Based Models”, Master of Science Thesis in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Graduate College of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2010.
- Cappelli, D.M., Moore, A.P., Trzeciak, R.F., Shimeall, T.J. “Common Sense Guide to Prevention and Detection of Insider Threat”, 3rd edn. Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh (2009)
- Ali, G., N.A. Shaikh, A.W. Shaikh And Z.A. Shaikh ,“ A Multiagent System Based Automated Profiling Model To Avoid Insider Threat”, The Nucleus Vol 48, No. 2 (2011) pp.121-127.
- Sarkar, Kuheli Roy “Assessing insider threats to information security using technical, behavioural and organisational measures”, Information Security Technical Report Vol 15 (2010), pp 112 - 133.
- Wu, Qishi and Yi Gu, “Modeling and simulation of distributed computing workflows in heterogeneous network environments”, Simulation:Transactions of the Society for Modeling and Simulation International, pp 1–17, Sage Publications, March 2011
- Mukhopadhyay, Indraneel, Mohuya Chakraborty, Satyajit Chakrabarti, “A Comparative Study of Related Technologies of Intrusion Detection & Prevention Systems”, Journal of Information Security, Vol 2, pp 28-38, Scientific Research, January 2011
- Ramasubramanian, P., Kannan, A.” A genetic-algorithm based neural network short-term forecasting framework for database intrusion prediction system”, Journal of Soft Computing - A Fusion of Foundations, Methodologies and Applications Volume 10, Issue 8, June 2006, pp 699 – 714
- J. Banks et al., Discrete-Event System Simulation, 3rd ed., Prentice-Hall, 2001.
- Jain, R., The art of computer systems performance analysis, Wiley, 1991
- Chatruvedi, Davendra K, “Modeling and Simulation of systems Using matlab and Simulink,” 1st Edition, CRC Press, 2010
- Changhoon Lee, Han-Chieh Chao, Irfan Awan, Special issue on “Modeling and simulation techniques for future generation communication networks”, Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, Volume 18, Issue 4, April 2010, Pages 405-406,
- Clune, M.I.; Mosterman, P.J.; Cassandras, C.G.; , "Discrete Event and Hybrid System Simulation with SimEvents," 8th International Workshop on Discrete Event Systems, 2006, vol., no., pp.386-387, 10-12 July 2006
- Javier Navaridas, Jose Miguel-Alonso, Jose A. Pascual, Francisco J. Ridruejo, Simulating and evaluating interconnection networks with INSEE, Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, Volume 19, Issue 1, January 2011