International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science ( IJITCS )
The use of ICT in the classroom has lead to a revival of interest in vocabulary learning. Since computers and mobile devices allow users to employ not only text data but also visual and sound data as well, learners are at an advantage in being able to use ICT in vocabulary learning.
There are many studies in the literature that claim, in particular, the effectiveness of visual data in enhancing vocabulary learning (, ). However, although visual data may facilitate the learning of concrete lexical items, we encounter problems when dealing with non-concrete, abstract items because it is not easy to link these items with visual data. Even if visual data do enhance vocabulary learning, it is difficult to take this factor into consideration when studying abstract words. We need to find alternative ways that may facilitate attainment of abstract words without relying too much on visual data.
Some studies have claimed the effectiveness of employing colors in enhancing memorization . Based on this finding, we conducted an experiment to test the effect of colors on vocabulary learning. The result of this experiment indicated that among the three colors black, blue and red, the retention rate of words printed in red letters was highest.
Since color does seem to play a positive role in vocabulary learning, we developed an online vocabulary system that creates learning materials based on colored letters. The result of our preliminary evaluation test suggests that vocabulary learning can be enhanced further if learners are given a chance to select the color of their preference when creating the learning entities.
: Color, memory enhancement, u-learning, vocabulary
- Y. Yeh and C. Wang, Effects of multimedia vocabulary annotations and learning styles on vocabulary learning, CALICO Journal, vol. 21, no. 1, pp.131-144, 2003.
- K. Al-Seyghayar, The effect of multimedia annotation modes in L2 acquisition: a comparative, Language Learning and Technology 5, pp.202-232, 2001.
- M. Ayama, and K. Sato, Color Memory Derived by Color Names and Color Patches. Journal of the Color Science Association of Japan, Vol. 19, pp.6-7, 1995.
- S. Fallahkhair, L. Pemberton, and J. Masthoff, A dual device scenario for informal language learning: interactive television meets the mobile phone. Proc. 4th IEEE International Conf. on Advanced Learning Technologies, pp. 16-20, 2004.
- C. H. L. Leung, Y. Y. Chan, Mobile learning: a new paradigm in electronic learning, Proc. 3rd IEEE International Conf. on Advanced Learning Technologies, pp.76-80, 2003.
- Nihon Gakuryoku Shinkoukai, http://www.kitto-goukaku.com ( accessed April 20, 2012)
- Benkyouhoucom, http://gakushuusoudann.seesaa.net/article.142401871.html (accessed July 22, 2012).
- H. Ebbinghaus, Memory: A Contribution to Experimental Psychology. New York: Dover Publications Inc., 1987.