International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science ( IJITCS )
As economic pressure builds globally, enterprises, municipalities and universities are starting to look at hybrid cloud build by combining public cloud and private cloud as a potential choice to reduce a total cost of ownership for IT. To optimize the hybrid cloud, it is necessary to minimize operational cost. We proposed the dynamic placement method which determines deployment and migration plan of applications to minimize the operational cost of the hybrid cloud. We showed that the total cost of this method was 43.9% lower than the conventional method in 5 years even if timing and frequency of the deployment and the characteristic of applications are unknown in advance. However, generally speaking, the time variability of compute utilization varies more widely than the storage utilization. As a result, dynamic placement method has a challenge that compute utilization is lower than storage utilization in the private cloud. In this paper, we propose a dynamic placement method with MIP which combines our dynamic placement method with conventional mixed integer program method. This method migrates applications among clouds using MIP when the difference between storage utilization and compute utilization expands in the private cloud. We show the effectiveness of the proposed method by evaluating in a simulation environment.
: hybrid cloud; dynamic placement method with MIP; optimization
- M. Armbrust, A. Fox, R. Griffith, et al., "Above the Clouds: A Berkeley View of Cloud Computing," Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences University of California at Berkeley, No. UCB/EECS-2009-28, 2009.
- J. Strebel, and A. Stage, "An economic decision model for business software application deployment on hybrid Cloud environments," Proc. Multikonferenz Wirtschaftsinformatik 2010, pp.195-206, 2010.
- O. Mazhelis, and P. Tyrvainen, "Role of Data Communications in Hybrid Cloud Costs," Proc. 37th EUROMICRO Conference on Software Engineering and Advanced Applications (SEAA 2011), pp.138-145, 2011.
- E. Ra, "Operating Systems and Benchmarks," StorageReview.com (online).
- H. Zhang, G. Jiang, K. Yoshihira, H. Chen, and A. Saxena, "Intelligent Workload Factoring for A Hybrid Cloud Computing Model," Proc. 2009 IEEE Congress on Services (SERVICES 2009), pp.701-708, 2009.
- Z. Gong, X. Gu, and J. Wilkes, "PRESS - PRedictive Elastic ReSource Scaling for cloud systems," Proc. 6th International Conference on Network and Service Management (CNSM 2010), pp.9-16, 2010.
- D. Kondo, B. Javadi, P. Malecot, F. Cappello, and P. D. Anderson, "Cost-benefit analysis of Cloud Computing versus desktop grids," Proc. 23th IEEE International Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Processing (IPDPS 2009), pp.1-12, 2009.
- B. Martens, M. Walterbusch, and F. Teuteberg, "Costing of Cloud Computing Services: A Total Cost of Ownership Approach," Proc. 45th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS 45), pp.1563-1572, 2012.
- A. Singh, M. Korupolu, and D. Mohapatra, "Server-Storage Virtualization: Integration and Load Balancing in Data Centers," Proc. ACM/IEEE Conference on Supercomputing (SC08), pp.1-12, 2008.