International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science ( IJITCS )
The research is to establish an online Peer-Tutoring Platform for Programming Languages and delve into the one-to-one peer-tutoring activities, while we conduct the learning strategy about the peer education. Students with better learning ability serve as tutors, instructing those with worse learning ability, called tutees. Tutors proceed with the peer-tutoring activities of the online programming language with respectively different teaching skills. The aim of that is to enable the students to learn the programming language and ameliorate their program designing ability. Furthermore, we delve into how their peers are affected in learning, when the students as tutors utilize on different teaching skills to carry the learning activities out.
: peer-tutoring; programming language; learning achievement; teaching skill
- T. D. Koschmann, R. Hall, and N. Miyake, CSCL 2, carrying forward the conversation: Lawrence Erlbaum, 2002.
- G. J. Hwang, H. C. Chu, J. L. Shih, S. H. Huang, and C. C. Tsai, "A decision-tree-oriented guidance mechanism for conducting nature science observation activities in a context-aware ubiquitous learning environment," Educational Technology & Society, vol. 13, pp. 53-64, 2010.
- Z. Zhan, F. Xu, and H. Ye, "Effects of an online learning community on active and reflective learners’ learning performance and attitudes in a face-to-face undergraduate course," Computers & Education, vol. 56, pp. 961-968, 2011.
- L. F. Thompson and M. D. Coovert, "Teamwork online: The effects of computer conferencing on perceived confusion, satisfaction and postdiscussion accuracy," Group Dynamics: Theory, Research, and Practice, vol. 7, pp. 135-151, 2003.
- J. Fjermestad, "An analysis of communication mode in group support systems research," Decision Support Systems, vol. 37, pp. 239-263, 2004.
- L. Lipponen, M. Rahikainen, J. Lallimo, and K. Hakkarainen, "Patterns of participation and discourse in elementary students' computer-supported collaborative learning," Learning and instruction, vol. 13, pp. 487-509, 2003.
- A. Thurston, D. Duran, E. Cunningham, S. Blanch, and K. Topping, "International on-line reciprocal peer tutoring to promote modern language development in primary schools," Computers & Education, vol. 53, pp. 462-472, 2009.
- K. W. Han, E. K. Lee, and Y. J. Lee, "The impact of a peer-learning agent based on pair programming in a programming course," Education, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 53, pp. 318-327, 2010.
- C. Kelleher and R. Pausch, "Lowering the barriers to programming: A taxonomy of programming environments and languages for novice programmers," ACM Comput. Surv., vol. 37, pp. 83-137, 2005.
- P. Kinnunen and L. Malmi, "Why students drop out CS1 course?," presented at the Proceedings of the second international workshop on Computing education research, Canterbury, United Kingdom, 2006.
- D. Arnow and O. Barshay, "WebToTeach: an interactive focused programming exercise system," in Frontiers in Education Conference, 1999. FIE '99. 29th Annual, 1999, pp. 12A9/39-12A9/44 vol.1.
- P. Brusilovsky, E. Schwarz, and G. Weber, "ELM-ART: An intelligent tutoring system on World Wide Web," 1996, pp. 261-269.
- G. Weber and A. Möllenberg, "A Tutoring System for LISP Beginners," Cognition and computer programming, p. 373, 1995.
- C. Daly and J. M. Horgan, "An automated learning system for Java programming," Education, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 47, pp. 10-17, 2004.
- W. Wong, T. Chan, C. Chou, J. Heh, and S. Tung, "Reciprocal tutoring using cognitive tools," Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, vol. 19, pp. 416-428, 2003.
- C. M. Chien, "Applying peer tutoring to programming languages instruction platform," Taiwan: Unpublished dissertation of Yunlin University, 2008.
- S. Goodlad and B. Hirst, Peer Tutoring. A Guide to Learning by Teaching: Nichols Publishing, PO Box 96, New York, NY 10024., 1989.
- L. Frick, "Peer tutors: The peerless resource," VocEd, vol. 5, pp. 28-29, 1980.
- J. W. Fantuzzo, R. E. Riggio, S. Connelly, and L. A. Dimeff, "Effects of reciprocal peer tutoring on academic achievement and psychological adjustment: A component analysis," Journal of Educational Psychology, vol. 81, p. 173, 1989.