International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science ( IJITCS )
In this paper, we present a null and pilot subcarrier aided iterative interference cancellation (IIC) algorithm for OFDM systems with blanking nonlinearity in impulsive noise channels. Since the operation of signal blanking is nonlinear, it destroys the orthogonality among subcarriers and generates inter-carrier interference (ICI) while suppressing impulsive noises. To mitigate the effect of ICI, we propose an iterative algorithm which takes not only the detected data symbols but also the known data symbols transmitted at the null and pilot subcarriers to cancel the ICI. Based on the system parameters of IEEE 802.11a/g standard, simulation results show the employment of null and pilot subcarriers can effectively enhance the performance of the proposed IIC algorithm.
: Orthogonal frequency division multiplexing, impulsive noise, interference cancellation, null subcarriers, pilot subcarriers.
- R. Nee and R. Prasad, OFDM for Wireless Multimedia Communications, Norwell: Artech House, 2000.
- E. Dahlman, S. Parkvall, and J. Skold, 4G LTE/LTE-Advanced for Mobile Broadband, Oxford: Academic Press, 2011.
- S. Ahmadi, Mobile WiMAX - A System Approach to Understanding IEEE 802.16m Radio Access Technology, Oxford, Academic Press, 2011.
- E. Skomal, Man-Made Radio Noise, 1st ed., New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1978.
- A. D. Spauding and D. Middleton, "Optimum reception in an impuslive interference environment - Part I: Coherent detection," IEEE Trans. Commun., vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 910-923, September 1977.
- M. Ghosh, “Analysis of the effect of impulse noise on multicarrier and single carrier QAM systems,” IEEE Trans. Commun., vol. 44, no.2, pp. 145-147, February l996.
- P. Amirshahi, S. M. Navidpour, and M. Kavehrad, “Performance of uncoded and coded OFDM broadband transmission over low voltage power-line channels with impulsive noise,” IEEE Trans. Power. Del., vol. 21,no. 10, pp. 1927-1934, October 2006.
- S. V. Zhidkov, "Performance analysis and optimization of OFDM receiver with blanking nonlinearity in impulsive noise environment," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 234-242, January 2006.
- H. A. Suraweera, C. Chai, J. Shentu, and J. Armstrong, "Analysis of impulse noise mitigation techniques for digital television systems," in Proc. 8th International OFDM Workshop, pp. 172-176, September 2003.
- C.-H. Yih, "Iterative interference cancellation for OFDM signals with blanking nonlinearity in impulsive noise channels," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 147-150, March 2012.
- IEEE Standard for Information Technology - Telecommunications and Information Exchange Between Systems - Local and Metropolitan Networks - Specific Requirements. Part 11: Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications, IEEE Std 802.11-2007.
- ETSI EN 300 744 V1.6.1, Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB); Frame Structure, Channel Coding and Modulation for Digital Terrestrial Television, January 2009.Figure